C100 Slow Motion Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 17th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #1
New Boot

C100 Slow Motion Advice

Hi.

A client wants me to shoot some scenes in slo-mo with my Canon C100 MarkI for a promo video I am shooting with some reportage-style scenes of a march. I am in PAL area, so was going to shoot the non-slomo scenes in 25P and wondering the best way to handle the slo-mo...Shoot in 50i? Shoot just this footage in 60i and then convert to PAL and bring down to a 25P timeline? I believe its for internet-not broadcast...

Thanks.

db
David Blumenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100 Slow Motion Advice

I'd avoid shooting 60i. Shoot 50i as it will give you a lot less to think about in post - just simply slow it down to 50%. It also means you can run the footage in real time if you choose to, where as 60i will leave you with dropped frames/fields and look stuttery,
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. I'm also wondering whether it would be a higher image quality to keep the whole thing in NTSC and shoot 60i slowed down and then 24P, rather then 50i and 25P for the other footage, since it's not for broadcast, in terms of image quality with that camera...

And also, if I shoot 50i, better to convert it to 50P in a program before editing? (I suppose it may depend upon the editing program), which will likely be Premiere. Thanks!
d
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #4
New Boot

...and the shoot is all exterior - no interiors
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Check out Philip Bloom's review from a few years back where he does just that... drops the 50i footage into a 25P timeline...
The better late than never Canon C100 review PLUS video review of the Canon XA25! | Philip Bloom he talks about it at around the 5 min mark..

cheers
Gareth
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #6
Major Player

I did a 'Workflow for Premiere' blog post on this referencing Blooms work. C100 Slow motion "Hack" = 25% more camera ? benzen blog
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems