Anyone have any T&S Interviews Shot on the C100/300MKII they can share? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 19th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone have any T&S Interviews Shot on the C100/300MKII they can share?

In the middle of a spec project, have shot first round interviews and b-roll and I am basically happy with the look we created but I am interested in possibly shooting round 2 interviews with the Tilt & Shift Canon 45mm 2.8 TS-e lens. Anyone shoot with one? Because of subject matter, we are often having to shoot stand ups and interviews in locations that are cluttered, no time or crew for art direction to dress the backgrounds, I am think T&S will help us with backgrounds and also give some of the interviews a different kind of look. I wouldn't use it for all interviews, the effect would get old if used for everything, but for the primary, sit down interviews, I am liking the idea. Pretty cheap to rent and it's our show so no client to be beholden to, we can create whatever look we deem appropriate for the subject matter. Anyone shoot interviews with T&S, any tips, pointers, comments on doing so?

Last edited by Dan Brockett; October 19th, 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone have any T&S Interviews Shot on the C100/300MKII they can share?

I haven't used a tilt-shift lens for interviews, but have in other projects, and I think the look would be very distracting.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with Gary.

I have used the tilt/shift lenses a lot filming architecture projects and they are great for that. Especially the 24 TSE II and the 17mm TSE.

I have shot portraits, stills, using the TSE lenses to intentionally change the plane of focus. I haven't tried it for filming an interview. I would think that the margin for error, focus wise, may be less than a fast lens shot wide open.

The 45mm TSE is the weakest of Canon's four TSE lenses. It is long overdue for a Mark II version. It is the least sharp and the most prone to chromatic aberration.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; October 20th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.
Jon Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah jeez, I totally respect both of your work and opinion and you are talking me out of it. I just look at the interviews we shot and they look fine but are mostly outdoors. No time or budget for art direction or really spending a lot of time crafting a specific look. We tamed the insane alternating heavy cloud cover and nuclear sun with a scrim and lit them with a kicker and a fill so they look fine but just so "plain". This is for a docu/reality show pitch, got any other ideas to "jazz up" our interviews? What I don't like about many ideas including the T&S is that we're committed once we shoot with that lens, there is no way to get rid of the effect if others find it too distracting.

Maybe we should look into the grade and doing some fun stuff with grain/color? This isn't a real doc style so we are free to mess about with the image as much as the format allows. Our main subject is super cool, chill and has a relaxed, positive outlook on life and her world so trying to come up with a visual metaphor that supports her viewpoint. This is just the sizzle, I would anticipate that if we can sell the show, we will hire a DP and really develop a look but for now, it's just myself and our other producer and assorted PAs/assistants so we are limited in lighting setups and art direction.

Ideas? Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Forgive my ignorance, I'm only marginally familiar with the tilt/shift concept. We're talking something like the tilting lensboard of a view camera?

Would the desire be to create a custom plane of focus, such that a face would be in focus, but the shoulders would be out of focus.

Does geometric distortion come into what you're trying for? (rising/falling lensboard)

Have you looked into Lensbaby products?

I'm a fan of big-head spokespeople, shot from above, using a high tripod with an UWA lens, somewhere... here's a sample... Scroll down on that page for thumbnails of some alternate looks. This may be way more crazy than you're intending.
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
I'm a fan of big-head spokespeople, shot from above, using a high tripod with an UWA lens, somewhere... here's a sample... this may be way more crazy than you're intending.
Oh god, that makes me think of Fox network afternoons circa 1990s. I had hoped that had died with that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Forgive my ignorance, I'm only marginally familiar with the tilt/shift concept. We're talking something like the tilting lensboard of a view camera?

Would the desire be to create a custom plane of focus, such that a face would be in focus, but the shoulders would be out of focus.

Does geometric distortion come into what you're trying for? (rising/falling lensboard)

Have you looked into Lensbaby products?

I'm a fan of big-head spokespeople, shot from above, using a high tripod with an UWA lens, somewhere... here's a sample... Scroll down on that page for thumbnails of some alternate looks. This may be way more crazy than you're intending.
T&S let's you tilt or shift the focal plane, exactly. It was very in vogue in 90s music videos, then went out, then came back, now is out again. My purpose would be to make ugly or distracting BG and foreground elements seem less prominent in the frame, we are shooting dirty machine shops, cluttered back yards, etc. it is a very distinct look but the consensus from Gary and Jon is that the look is a non-starter.

I do have a LensBaby and IMHO, that look would be even more distracting than a regular T&S lens. I bought it just to play with on still cameras for shooting small objects and I ended up not really liking it so it just sits in a cabinet now. Visual styles come and go and right now, we have a very clean, normal look for the A camera, we are shooting B camera with a gimbal setup and C camera is on sticks, shooting a more profile frame. It doesn't look bad at all, but it's pretty much what you would expect to see.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Give the ShrinkRay X plugin a try, from Crumplepop. Could be just enough of a tilt shift effect without becoming distracting.
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Will check that out Slavik, thanks for the tip. Always better to shoot clean and apply in post. Then if the audience doesn't dig it, easy to remove.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems