DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   A Day in the Life of a Film Composer UHD C300 Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/533504-day-life-film-composer-uhd-c300-mark-ii.html)

Gary Huff January 30th, 2017 09:32 AM

A Day in the Life of a Film Composer UHD C300 Mark II

Shot this short documentary with the C300 Mark II in UHD. Clog2. Edited and graded in Premiere Pro CC.

Mark Dobson January 31st, 2017 11:25 AM

Re: A Day in the Life of a Film Composer UHD C300 Mark II

Solid bit of work Gary with pin sharp images. So much so that you can see tiny minute bits of dust on the equipment in the room.

He has a lot of objects in his man cave!

I'm a big fan of actuality sound and it would have been nice to have heard some of that rather than the continuous music bed. Was that his music?

How did you manage the moving shots in his studio? On some kind of stabilising rig?

Again - good short film.

Gary Huff January 31st, 2017 11:27 AM

Thanks, Mark! Yes, the music bed he composed himself. I tried to give him enough space to get some of the music in outside of the dialogue. I felt it would work better as a piece that showed a typical use of his music (underneath other audio) than give too much time to just music.

The moving shots are a Tokina 11-20 at around 12-14mm handheld and then judicious use of Warp Stabilizer. Now I have a Ronin-M, so this is the last piece where I do my "poor man's" gimbal shot.

Phil Goetz January 31st, 2017 07:22 PM

"Keep where you are, where you've been and where you are going in focus and you will be successful"

Svein Rune Skilnand February 9th, 2017 01:59 PM

Hi Gary.
That was a really nice piece. I enjoyed it.

May I ask what other glass you were using besides the Tokina lens?

Also as someone new to the C300MK2, shooting C- LOG2, where do you place your highlights and exposure in general? Are you using zebras?

Gary Huff February 9th, 2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand (Post 1927528)
That was a really nice piece. I enjoyed it.

Thank you, Svein, glad you did!

Quote:

May I ask what other glass you were using besides the Tokina lens?
Canon 17-55, Canon 100mm Macro, Sigma 18-35 too I believe.

Quote:

Where do you place your highlights and exposure in general? Are you using zebras?
Depends on the scene. I try to never lose my highlights (which top off around 92IRE in Clog2). I never use zebras, I learned how to "see" a scene via the waveform monitor. I can't remember the exact values from this shoot (I'm currently deep into a lengthy shoot where I am exposing the Rec.709 Preset (WideDR) for final straight out of camera), but with this shoot I was trying to keep the scene as nicely balanced in the middle as possible, while protecting the highlights.

Some of this was shot after the release of the Clog3 firmware which tweaked Clog2 for less noise. Could tell a definite, if not groundbreaking, difference.

Andrew Smith February 10th, 2017 03:30 AM

Great stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Andrew

Gary Huff February 10th, 2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1927566)
Great stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks, Andrew!

Svein Rune Skilnand February 10th, 2017 09:02 AM

Thanks for your replies Gary. I will try shooting CLOG2 tomorrow and see what results I come up with.

Dan Brockett February 11th, 2017 10:36 AM

Nice work as usual Gary. Was there a client or was this just a creative piece you decided to produce?

Gary Huff February 12th, 2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1927632)
Nice work as usual Gary.

Thank you, Dan!

Quote:

Was there a client or was this just a creative piece you decided to produce?
I do these creative pieces to showcase my doc directing/shooting work and to keep my channel updated with fresh content.

Dan Brockett February 13th, 2017 09:43 PM

Nice Gary. If I get any work in the Austin area, I'll be sure to look you up, you are a talented guy.

Gary Huff February 13th, 2017 09:44 PM

Thanks, Dan! That means a lot!