Some of my BTS C100/C300 goodness for Resurrection: Prison Break S5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 21st, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Some of my BTS C100/C300 goodness for Resurrection: Prison Break S5

Yay, embargo is finally off! If you have the patience to sit through it (20 minutes), the work I shot on location in Morocco (doubling for Yemen) last Spring is visible and sprinkled throughout this BTS look at the making of Prison Break S5. I didn't shoot the interview with Wentworth Miller, which to me, has a weird blue look to it but all of the BTS you see in "the Middle east" was me with the C100 and C300. I shot interviews in Morocco, they are sprinkled and mixed in with interviews that were shot on the stages in Vancouver that I didn't shoot. Lots of fun stuff on this projects, drones, explosions, shootouts, stunts, car work, shoot outs, etc. working BTS on an action show is the best. It was 132F in the Sahara Desert for a week straight when most of this was shot. Fortunately they did use a few of my shots we captured out in the ancient fortified city of Ait Ben Haddou, which was an amazing place and experience shooting it. Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

That week, the screen on my Atomos Ninja Blade melted (props to Atomos for replacing my screen under warranty), my C100 and 300 both exhibited thermal shutdown warnings, which I have never experienced anywhere else and the audio cables for my mic hop from our sound mixer kept literally falling apart because the heat was hot enough to melt the solder in the cable connections. We each drank gallons of water each day and the scary part was you rarely, if ever peed during the day, it was so dry. The fact that both the C100 and 300 survived this shoot without breakage and shutting down was a testimony that while they are of a prosumer build, the engineering holding them together is pretty good. Sure, lots of plastic but a lot of other cameras would have just stopped working in these circumstances.

Some more fun facts, a lot of my footage from the original run of Prison Break S3, S4, perhaps even a few shots from S1 are sprinkled in the opening few minutes, those were shot in Chicago, Tampa, and Dallas. That's what was always fun about working on the show, it moved every season, much like another show I shoot on, Homeland. Makes for an interesting BTS perspective because you go to a new country/location every season. Hopefully they will get a Season 6 and we can do another fun shoot like this one.

Enjoy!
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Some of my BTS C100/C300 goodness for Resurrection: Prison Break S5

I just found out that Fox aired this as a broadcast TV special on March 4th. Wish they would have told us, it would have been fun to watch with friends and family.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Great work, Dan. Yeah, I could tell that the Wentworth Miller interview was completely different. Looks like it was shot on a Sony camera (the blue-ish tint).

I thought it got hot here in Texas, but never had an experience like you describe!
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Gary. Yes, I told the producer that the color tone and lighting for that interview looked weird and didn't cut very well with all of the others. Wentworth is one of the two main stars of the show so unfortunately it keeps cutting back to that one interview but whatevs. I thought the colors I shot on the C100/C300 in Morocco were quite nice, everything there is tan and or red, but the skin tones looked really appealing as well in the interviews we shot.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems