Matching C300 and C300 Mark II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 25th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching C300 and C300 Mark II

hello again, it's been a while :)

i have recently added the Mark II and now using my good old Mark I as a B-Cam, going now on a documentary style of job, and want the 2 to work together nicely.

after one week of using the Mark II i completely understand that it is utterly a different beast, so while i can't imagine a complete match of the raw material right out of the box, i'm now thinking of a strategy to make it match later in post.

considering that the Mark II is more dynamic and flexible, i just want to get as close as possible to the color of Mark I, that will shoot Wide DR.

does anyone have experience and can recommend me how to set up the Mark II custom preset in order to achieve that?

many thanks in advance,
Shai
Shai Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Matching C300 and C300 Mark II

From Travis Cossel of Black Label Film Studio in Miami:

"I just did a real test to match WB between C100i and C100ii using WB shift on the C100i to match the C100ii. You CANNOT do this via the LCD screens as the quality is vastly different and the C100i LCD is totally unreliable for color. Instead I took the time to record segments of footage on both cameras and ingested them into my edit system to compare...I dropped the shift down 3 (toward magenta) and over 1 (toward blue). Hope this helps those of you trying to match your C100's."
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
You CANNOT do this via the LCD screens as the quality is vastly different and the C100i LCD is totally unreliable for color."
Duh. Seriously, if you eyeball on any camera's built-in LCD, you're just asking for issues. That should go without saying.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just realizing that I didn't read Shai's question very carefully, ADD at work with me. He was asking about C300 MKI and MKII, not C100, totally different beasts.

This is more relevant info Shai
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...-matching.html
Canon C300 Mark II Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Trustee

I saw something in one of the white papers that led me to this solution. It's dumbing down the mark II substantially, but it was canon's approach to matching the cameras.

Shoot Canon Log or maybe Log3...(ideally in rec709) with the original cinemaEos color matrix, and then use the Canon Log to wideDR Rec709 LUT.

I've never tried it, so I don't know...but from my testing with that matrix, it is greener than the others, and that would seem to counter the red I see with the mark II when using any of the 709 LUTs.

That matrix was designed to match the C500 in 709, so it should be close.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems