Is there a way putting the C100mkii on Automatic ISO mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a way putting the C100mkii on Automatic ISO mode?

Hi there,

Is there a way putting the C100mkii on Automatic ISO mode? Like on the 5Dmk3?

Thank you.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Is there a way putting the C100mkii on Automatic ISO mode?

As far as I know the answer is no, but it would be nice!. I like that feature on the DSLR body's. Maybe a firmware update could add it? Shutter angle priority was added in the last firmware update....a step in the right direction anyway :-)
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Ben, I could't find it as well. I'm so interested in understanding the reason "why is canon making us work harder"?
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
Thank you Ben, I could't find it as well. I'm so interested in understanding the reason "why is canon making us work harder"?
If you need a full automatic camera, there are plenty of alternatives.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don’t think he was asking for full auto per se. I know when I run DSLR's in auto "ISO" I generally run the Iris and Shutter in manual. Not ideal for all situations, some say anything auto is "unprofessional" but it works for run and gun when lighting is changing. It would be a nice feature addition to an amazing camera.
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've thought many a time about picking up a C100 because of the image quality but it doesn't fit my type of work. Its obviously setup up for controlled situations. I find it odd someone would buy such a camera without first taking the time to research it's limitations.

Auto ISO is very useful in certain situations like steadycam work where you can't be touching the camera. If you follow someone from interior to exterior. It also seamlessly modifies the exposure without the abrupt stepping you get while adjusting manually. So basically the stuff you deal with live event work where you don't have control of the lighting. It's best to get a camera that fits your work not the other way around.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
If you need a full automatic camera, there are plenty of alternatives.
I think with this king of Camera, the manufacture needs to give us the opportunity on features which are given in cheaper DSLR's. Like auto iso. So about the plenty other alternatives, i don't need a cheaper alternative to achieve my shot if i already payed more from the beggining. Otherwise it doesn't have any sense on paying more for a cheaper DSLR feature.

I mostly do Broadcast Documentaries, only once in a while i need to use the Ronin.
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
I think with this king of Camera, the manufacture needs to give us the opportunity on features which are given in cheaper DSLR's.
Like Toy Mode and Sepia as well?
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Let's Say i prefer to have the Auto Iso instead of the Auto Aparture button. Sepia mode is more directed to stills photography..
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Auto ISO is terrible. The metering is always reading the wrong area of the frame and it typically ends up boosting ISO to way too high levels. What you really want is variable ND like Sonys FS5 and FS7MKII have. I prefer Canon's skin tones and look to Sony but variable ND is genius. It really deserves to be a standard feature on every digital cinema and video camera.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Auto iso is bad but so is stepping manual exposure. One could ask have you watched any professional tv or movie where you see clunk of an abrupt exposure change?

Let's be honest the Canon's C series is photographer equipment adapted for video. I wouldn't use it as the gold standard for how a camera should work.

Auto ISO is a necessary evil of run and gun where close enough is better than not at all. Canon has clearly designed this for cinema style shooting where you don't change the exposure while filming a take which makes it not good for live filming.
Old April 8th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Auto iso is bad but so is stepping manual exposure. One could ask have you watched any professional tv or movie where you see clunk of an abrupt exposure change?
No, but iris ramping isn't typical. I bet most of those TV shows and movies you mentioned never did one.
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

It is typical for any professional broadcast/eng camera.
Never did what? Change the aperture or iso? Are you serious?
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Professional brodcast cameras that shoots live usually uses lenses with focus and aparture rings.. There is almost no way they'll use auto iso, but us who sjoot run and gun and on a gimbal, we need that feature.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems