What is the best DSLR body to match C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 18th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #1
Tourist

What is the best DSLR body to match C100

My C100 is my A cam, and I have a 7D as my B cam that sits on a Ronin-M. After a long debate about whether to upgrade to a Ronin and have the C100 fly on there, I've decided that as a single operator A/B set up suits me much better.

My main issue I want to fix, in the near future, is my B cams low light capabilities. I did a shoot recently inside on a construction site, and the disparity between the two cameras was huge. It's not a problem for the client, but it is something I want to address before the end of the year - budget depending.

My immediate thought was the 5D IV. If I'm honest it is a little too expensive for the purpose, but I'm not adverse to that if it's going to be the best possible match for the C100. Other videographers I've spoken to have said the AS7 but 1) all my lenses are EF mount 2) I'm not sure about putting an adaptor and then the EF lens on a gimbal, feels like it might be too shaky.

Tl;dr - ...what the title said, best DSLR to match C100 (I rambled on a bit)
Alex Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: What is the best DSLR body to match C100

I use a 5D mark lll mostly shooting ML raw, as my b camera. Way cheaper second hand than a mark IV and the Raw video cuts very nicely with the C100.
Regards
Gareth .
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Even if you get the Mk III new, it's a lot less than the Mk IV.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Alex, I know you said a DSLR, but why don't you get another C100 and that way you would get an exact match? I shoot with both a C100 and 5DM3 with magic lantern Raw. As someone said you can match the footage close. I've looked at getting a second C100 myself. For the price and features, I don't think you can beat it. Just my 2 cents worth.... Good luck
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have been wondering this too..I have a 70D using a modified Cinestyle (a bit of shapness +1 and a bit more contrast than usual) and I have gotten acceptable results when mixing footage with a C100 mk2 in Wide DR. I haven't tried the EOS standard (which is supposed to match DSLRs?) or the Cinema profile and I haven't learned Canon Log...I know I know...but for now the Wide DR with some grading is very nice-I did go into the settings and increased the noise reduction a bit- The 70D is very nice as long as I don't go over 800-1000 ISO (maybe a bit more but I don't want to push it).
I would love an exact match to the C100 mk2 to use on my new Zhiyun gimbal-for now the 70D with a 10-18 STM lens is ok- I thought the Canon XC10 or XC15 might be good as a B camera but not sure at all.
and of course I have been tempted to buy a Sony 6500 but that's a big invesment for now...
argh...
A second C100 would be too much (even a MK1 and too big for my gimbal anyway).
one day the "perfect" camera will come along! LOL!
E
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I am in the exact same shoes, trying to match my C100 mkii to a Canon DSLR as I need something like on Zhiyun gimbal.
In that pursuit, I have bought the 5D mk iv and hopefuly after I make the LOG upgrade on it it will be exactly the same as C100, hopefully!
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems