DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Which Battery Plate for the C200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/534335-battery-plate-c200.html)

Dan Brockett July 5th, 2017 07:20 AM

Which Battery Plate for the C200?

Have decided my C200 will be powered by V-Mounts. Which battery plate would you buy and why?

Gary Huff July 5th, 2017 07:56 AM

Re: Which Battery Plate for the C200?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1934085)
Have decided my C200 will be powered by V-Mounts. Which battery plate would you buy and why?

I thought about this for my C300 Mark II, and ultimately decided against it, but I was keen on the Wooden Camera battery slide.

Dan Brockett July 5th, 2017 03:07 PM

I've been eyeing that one. I have the Wooden 15mm to Arri rosette unit for my front rods and the Wooden Canon Grip Relocater also, I like their stuff. Seems like a very intelligent, flexible design. But which actual battery plate would you team that Wooden plate holder with, Wooden, Shape, Core, IDX, Anton Bauer, IndiPro, Camlast? Too many choices and a lot of price ranges.

Gary Huff July 5th, 2017 03:53 PM

I would keep it simple and just use the Wooden Camera plate.

Dan Brockett August 11th, 2017 03:37 PM

I ended up buying the Wooden Camera battery slide and then ordered the Wooden Camera battery plate. The Wooden Camera plate says, "IDX" on it?

Gary Huff August 11th, 2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1935313)
I ended up buying the Wooden Camera battery slide and then ordered the Wooden Camera battery plate. The Wooden Camera plate says, "IDX" on it?

Yes, I guess I never looked very closely at it. It is indeed an IDX plate.

Dan Brockett August 12th, 2017 07:48 AM

Weird, none of my other Wooden gear seems to be made by third party. Doesn't matter, I am sure it will work fine, IDX tends to make pretty good gear, I just found it surprising.

Gary Huff August 12th, 2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1935410)
Weird, none of my other Wooden gear seems to be made by third party.

You probably could have purchased any Canon compatible V-mount plate, but I tend to err on the side of caution by buying what they sell on their site because nothing's more annoying than finding out it doesn't work because some mounting point is half a centimeter off.

Last time I took a chance was with the Recoil handle. I don't want the helmet, so I did my due diligence with measuring tape to make sure the NATO rail would mount to the Canon helmet. Held my breath as I started to put it together but it worked perfectly.

Dylan Couper August 23rd, 2017 12:51 PM

Does anyone know if the D-Tap power cables for the C300 mkII work with the C200?

Travis Andersen August 24th, 2017 07:27 AM

Yes it will, same power adapter used on both.

Dan Brockett August 24th, 2017 05:26 PM

Did a shoulder mounted shoot last weekend with my V-mount batteries and the Wooden Battery Slide and Plate. Overall, seemed to function okay but I ran into a phenomena where sometimes when I would snap the camera into the Zacuto VCT Baseplate or unsnap it to put it up on my shoulder, the camera would momentarily lose power and would have to reboot. I don't think it's the battery to battery plate fit, it seems snug. I think it is the DC Lemo cable connection from the battery plate to the C200s power input I've read from others that the power connection on the C300 MKII is poor and gets worse as the connection wears. The connection seems reasonably tight on the C200 but this powering down thing was happening.

The solution seems to be to leave the stock BP-A30 battery attached to the camera when powering by the battery plate and brick, the BP-A30 momentarily powers the camera of the connection to the battery plate is lost for half a second. Still, it's a bummer, adds extra weight and one more battery to make sure it is always charged up.

Travis Andersen August 24th, 2017 05:30 PM

Wow, thats good to know, thanks Dan. My shoulder kit from Smallrig comes tomorrow as well as v-mount battery and plate. Ill give it a go and see if its a universal issue.

Dan Brockett August 25th, 2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Andersen (Post 1935770)
Wow, thats good to know, thanks Dan. My shoulder kit from Smallrig comes tomorrow as well as v-mount battery and plate. Ill give it a go and see if its a universal issue.

If it persists, I may just use the V-Mount for tripod and the BP-A30s for shoulder mounted shooting. I like the counterbalance the V-Mounts offer on the rig when shoulder mounted but I don't want to deal with this issue as far as momentary loss of power. New camera, new battery plate, nothing can be too loose or overworked yet, but still, it happened two or three times.

Dylan Couper August 30th, 2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Andersen (Post 1935759)
Yes it will, same power adapter used on both.

Thanks Travis!

Tony Burns February 9th, 2020 12:09 PM

Hey Dan,

I wanted to revive this old thread of yours here to see what your power solution looks like for the C200 in 2020. I'm pulling together a C200 shopping list at the moment myself and so far had landed on the new Core SWX NANO-C98 batteries instead of v-mounts.

Also curious what your shoulder rig is looking like these days! My current plan there is looking like the Zacuto v2 with the dual rosette grips.

- Tony