DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Is the SmallHD Focus monitor a worthwhile choice for the C100 MK2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/534361-smallhd-focus-monitor-worthwhile-choice-c100-mk2.html)

Terence Morris July 10th, 2017 12:59 PM

Is the SmallHD Focus monitor a worthwhile choice for the C100 MK2

I'm thinking of getting the new SmallHD Focus for my C100 MK2. I'm a fan of false colour (having played around with it on my Ninja 2) but would also like a brighter / slightly larger screen for outdoor work. I really struggle using the built-in monitor on bright days. Will the 5" screen be a worthwhile improvement? I know that this was primarily designed for small mirrorless cameras, but the specs look great and it's within my budget. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

Terence Morris July 11th, 2017 08:46 PM

Re: Is the SmallHD Focus monitor a worthwhile choice for the C100 MK2

Bump. Surely someone must have an opinion on this?

Nate Haustein July 11th, 2017 09:00 PM

It's very new and I'm sure a lot of us would like to know the same thing. I think that a 5 inch, high resolution monitor is a valuable asset when shooting with pretty much any small camera. Add to that all the features and on screen tools of the SmallHD, and you've got a very powerful small monitor solution. I think you should go for it, and let us know how it goes. This particular monitor isn't quite as bright as some of the other high-bright options in the market, but it certainly is a lot cheaper. Do it.

Terence Morris July 11th, 2017 10:39 PM

Thanks, Nate. You are like devil's advocate :). So guess it's down to me. They're on pre-order most places at the moment. I think I will pull the trigger on this at some point soon. I've hankered after a decent monitor for a while and this seems to hit all the buttons, especially on price.

Dave Sperling July 12th, 2017 08:17 AM

I'm a big fan of my SmallHD 702.
But the things I really like are the larger screen size and the way the joystick works (once you get used to it...) and the hdmi and sdi outputs
But I mainly use it when I'm on a tripod.
So think about how you're going to be using the monitor
Also about how you'll deal with it in the sun (if appropriate) - particularly in terms of needing to put a shade on it - and then needing to reach the touch screen.
I personally really like having the larger 7" screen size - but that's just me.

Terence Morris July 15th, 2017 08:30 PM

Dave - sorry for the late reply. I've thought about this a fair bit. I think I'll be using this both for tripod work and occasional gun and run, mostly indoors. For indoor tripod work, it would really be a luxury - the MK-II screen is really pretty good. But my peepers are getting older, so a slightly larger and brighter screen would be nice. And as I mentioned, I really like false colour, especially for nailing skin exposure. For the run gun stuff, I'm hoping it will be not too heavy an addition. I have a monopod and a Fig Rig to help out if needed. I've been thinking about getting some kind of monitor for a while, and really liked what I saw in the smallHD lineup - just the price was a factor given other priorities. What really pushed me over the edge was a piece I was doing for a client that involved (unfortunately)12-noon sunlight on a sunny day. I could barely make out the one push focus square! A very uncomfortable situation. I guess I could have used the EVF, but old habits... Anyway, this smallHD Focus looks a nice balance of size/brightness/features at a good price point. I also like the articulation bracket and cold shoe mount, which will position it nicely forward on the C100 using the Fig Rig.

Terence Morris July 15th, 2017 11:32 PM

A couple of points I didn't address. I like the idea of a 7" screen too, but the weight (possibly) and again the price (definitely) is an issue. Everything is a compromise I guess. And yes, a shade seems de rigour for those 12-noon scenarios. I will certainly look into that if I decide to go with this...