canon c log 3 vs b709? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 8th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

canon c log 3 vs b709?

Another Rookie question

When i have not been shooting in raw i have been using canon c log 3 as preset
i have noticed teh footage seems soft.
I tried shooting today some sample footage in b709 again not raw.
the b709 footage seems sharper.
Is this typical? Just curious if most people shoot canon c log 3 when not shooting raw vs other choices
Richard Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: canon c log 3 vs b709?

I've been shooting a lot of WDR and I concur, the footage looks slightly soft. I boosted the sharpness up +2 but I may experiment a bit more and try more sharpening. A lot of this boils down to who is handling post. I shoot a lot of footage that goes straight to the client's websites and does not get much in the way of CC or sharpening in post so this matters to me. If I am editing, I just add sharpness in post, no big deal.

The Cinema RAW Light looks sharper than the .MP4 footage so I have not had issues with CRL footage but the .MP4 does seem soft. Regardless of which PP you are using for .MP4, I would experiment with upping the sharpness a bit. I don't like razor sharp but I do like a little crisp in the eyes especially. It's weird, because on my old C100 and C300, even -3 was too sharp, but on the C200, it appears that 0 sharpening is too soft and even +2, which is where I am at right now, still looks a little soft. I am going to try +4 or +5.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

To update this, when shooting .MP4 for clients, when the footage will see little to no grading or color correction, I have been shooting with the sharpness upped to +3 or 4 with good results. Not over-sharpened, but not as soft as it was. YMMV.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I have been shooting with the sharpness upped to +3 or 4 with good results. Not over-sharpened, but not as soft as it was. YMMV.
I have been going over some old C100 footage and I noticed this compared with Rec.709 preset C300 Mark II. Need to develop more of a basic "final look" for clients like what you described, Dan, in both sharpness and saturation, which are the two things I routinely add in quick-turnaround jobs in post.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems