iMac Pro editing machine for C200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1
New Boot

iMac Pro editing machine for C200

Hello guys, Apple has now released the new iMac Pro.
I think to buy it, and just I want to know if someone more expert (based also about your configurations) than me thinks about this hardware configuration, and if it's good to edit the C200's 4K RAWlight :

- 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
- 128GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
- 4TB SSD
- Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: iMac Pro editing machine for C200

That looks a cracking spec Daniel. I currently use 4k and 1080p with my brilliant Acer Aspire VX15, truly performs better than my desktops. A recent wedding abroad i completed the clients trailer on the plane in three hours on a 6 hour journey with no hiccups and rendered fast and i mean fast. All 4k and the render was super. So your spec better than mine will be fine.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Do you have a link for it? I may wait for the new trash can. Not sure.
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That configuration will deftly handle C200 Raw light footage.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Yes, you can configure your iMac Pro following this link: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Many of us are speculating that a top of the line new trash can next year may top $25k. If you can afford one, I'm jealous. Even the bottom line will be $7k-$10k
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Even the bottom line will be $7k-$10k
And therein lies the rub. My 2015 MacBook Pro (with maxed out specs) more than easily handles HD/2K footage, especially in Intra modes, but once you mix in UHD/4K, it crawls. It feels like the iMac Pro is the baseline model to get the same kind of performance with UHD/4K as its HD brethren.

Or if you're still working in 1080, max out an iMac Pro and watch your timeline playback at full speed with Neat Video applied... ;)
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I’m temped to build a hackintosh with the coffee lake i7 8700. My 2007 Mac Pro works well but I can’t update FCPX to the latest version. Maybe next year if there is a stable build I might make the jump. For $2k you have something as fast for 1/3 the cost.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If you build a Hackintosh, be prepared to spend time fixing it when something breaks. This happens quite a bit with those things.
Old December 18th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Inner Circle

While Hackintoshes are cool hobby machines, I have never met a single working pro who counts on one for client work under deadlines. If you are a hobbyist, go for it. If you are a working pro, you buy a new Mac with Apple Care and pray that you never use it ;-)
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That’s too bad. I understand it take some tinkering but would be ok once setup. I was planning to use my existing mac as a backup that I’d eventually transition from once I achieved a stable workstation. I’ve seen some people on youtube use them for work. Obviously what some may deem as workable may not be by another. I wouldn’t want to do anything halfway but I’d be mad if I spent 2k on a “project”
Old December 18th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The issue is that anything unexpected can bring it down. If you keep it disconnected from the Internet, you might be okay for a while, but any updates can give you a half-day to a full day downtime. Forget you can't hot-swap Thunderbolt devices and plug something in while the machine is running? That was a day of downtime for the unit and 3 days of RAID rebuilding.
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The updating isn’t an issue because I routinely go a year without an update to my mac, it’s not connected to the internet, I only use it for video editing and that’s the way I like it.

The Thunderbolt/raid isn’t an issue. I don’t use either.

The only issue that’s not a hackintosh/mac is that the majority of my distributions is via dvd and I use DVDSP to author and burn. I believe but i’m not sure that the software can’t be installed on High Sierra. If that’s the case all speed gains would be nullified if I’d have to employ and maintain a separate system just to author and produce dvds. While I could install an older os, one of the main purpose is to upgrade to a newer os to allow me to upgrade fcpx to the latest versions. Btw I wouldn’t be surprised this is Apple way of “encouraging” people to buy a new mac.
Old December 19th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The further back in time you go with OSX versions, the harder it is to Hackintosh.
Old February 15th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
And therein lies the rub. My 2015 MacBook Pro (with maxed out specs) more than easily handles HD/2K footage, especially in Intra modes, but once you mix in UHD/4K, it crawls. It feels like the iMac Pro is the baseline model to get the same kind of performance with UHD/4K as its HD brethren.

Or if you're still working in 1080, max out an iMac Pro and watch your timeline playback at full speed with Neat Video applied... ;)
I'm wondering if I should just get the current trashcan and add a nice LG monitor to it. That's the same price as the baseline iMac Pro.... sigh. Mo money. lol

I just used this link, https://www.apple.com/mac/trade-up/ to see how much they think my iMac is worth. I'm afraid 190.00 might be a little low.

Last edited by Steven Davis; February 15th, 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Steven Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems