Canon C200 & C200B Training Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 20th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #1

Canon C200 & C200B Training Videos

Canon has released a new series of videos for the C200 & C200B Cameras.

We've compiled links to all the videos below in our blog post:
https://texasmediasystems.com/canon-...aining-videos/

Camera Overview

Setting Up for Shooting – Part 1

Setting Up for Shooting – Part 2

Audio Setup

Shooting with the Camera

Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus Features

Special Recording Modes & Browser Remote

Cinema RAW Light & Post Production

CANON C200 DIGITAL CINEMA CAMERA 4K RAW INTERNAL - 2215C002 $7499
https://shop.texasmediasystems.com/C...02_p_6954.html

CANON C200B DIGITAL CINEMA CAMERA BODY W/O EVF - 2216C002
https://shop.texasmediasystems.com/C...02_p_6956.html

Canon C200B Complete Kit $7499
https://shop.texasmediasystems.com/C...es_p_6991.html

Apply Online for 0% 24 or 1.99% 36 Month Lease Financing:
https://texasmediasystems.com/canon-leasing/
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon C200 & C200B Training Videos

As impressive as the C200 series is, one huge downside is the 8-bit 4:2:0 codecs (even for HD)! If a camera is offering 10 to 12-bit compressed RAW, one would think it would at least offer 10-bit 4:2:2 for HD and at least 8-bit 4:2:2 for UHD.

Otherwise, seems one is quite limited by this system. You'll either chew through many high cost CFast cards. Or, you end up with footage that is captured in an output format. Really should have some "in-between" flavor to strike a balance.

Perhaps (here's hoping anyhow) that Canon will provide more serious HD codecs in the future. I would love to see a system with an S35 sensor (with 4K or slightly higher resolution), but recording to HD in either 10 or 12-bit RAW Light, 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 or some other flavor giving at least 10-bit 4:2:2.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Sharp View Post
As impressive as the C200 series is, one huge downside is the 8-bit 4:2:0 codecs (even for HD)! If a camera is offering 10 to 12-bit compressed RAW, one would think it would at least offer 10-bit 4:2:2 for HD and at least 8-bit 4:2:2 for UHD.

Otherwise, seems one is quite limited by this system. You'll either chew through many high cost CFast cards. Or, you end up with footage that is captured in an output format. Really should have some "in-between" flavor to strike a balance.

Perhaps (here's hoping anyhow) that Canon will provide more serious HD codecs in the future. I would love to see a system with an S35 sensor (with 4K or slightly higher resolution), but recording to HD in either 10 or 12-bit RAW Light, 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 or some other flavor giving at least 10-bit 4:2:2.
Since I own the C200 and have been shooting with it for six months on a variety of broadcast, corporate and on two documentary features, I feel qualified to comment here.

1. It's generally been understood that while the C200 .MP4 is 8-bit 4:2:0, it is very good quality 8-bit 4:2:0, perfect for web delivery, quick delivery, super long sessions with dozens of hours of footage. It is what it is and if you don't want 8-bit 4:2:0 without shooting RAW, yes, you must look elsewhere. That said, don't knock it until you've tried it, worth renting or borrowing and shooting some test footage. If your clients require 10-bit, shoot RAW or buy a C300 MKII. Speaking of which, it's obvious why Canon omitted a 10-bit internal codec, their sales of the C300 MKII would have ceased, who would buy one?

2. "High priced CFast 2.0 cards". I keep reading this all over the web. Just the slightest amount of investigation reveals you can purchase a 256GB EgoDisk CFast 2.0 card on Amazon that meets the VPG-130 standard and happens to work flawlessly for the C200's Cinema RAW Light. I own half a dozen of them, they each record 34 minutes of CRL and in most venues, $299.00 for 34 minutes of RAW storage is far from "high priced". I don't accept this premise. If you only buy the certified Sandisk cards, yes, they are expensive. But the Sandisk are not the only choice, there are EgoDisk, Angelbird, and the Freetail Evoke cards, all of which will work with the C200, all of which are leagues cheaper than the Sandisk cards.

3. Canon will be building the camera you want, it will be called the C300 MKIII or the C400 or possibly called the C500 MKII, it will have everything you ask for and more, dual CFast 2.0 slots recording CRL, XF-AVC and possibly Prores. But you'll pay probably close to double what the C200 costs.

Market segmentation, it's a fact of life, you don't get everything at one low price. The C200 is an outstanding value and it's Cinema RAW Light looks better than the C300 MKIIs XF-AVC at 410 Mbps. I have a thread over at DVXUser that is multiple pages of all of the things wrong with the C200 that Canon should and hopefully will fix through firmware updates. Who knows if they will but adding in that mid-range, broadcast codec in their mid-line camera probably won't happen. There are plenty of operational flaws that could be fixed easily through firmware, we owners at least hold out some hope Canon will address them.

Last edited by Dan Brockett; February 22nd, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
What are you shooting on at the moment, Ricky?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A lowly Sony PXW-X70. But I only shoot in 10-bit 4:2:2 HD, hence my comments regarding HD above. For photography, I use a Canon 5D Mark IV and absolutely love that system. So I'm always on the lookout to return to Canon for video.

The X70's 20 MP sensor does produce beautiful HD. No doubt the Cx00 systems can produce better HD if one needs a WYSIWYG capture. But since the lower-end systems don't offer 10-bit 4:2:2, you just don't have the flexibility, IMO.

This is probably wishful thinking. I know that manufacturers are pushing 4K and beyond something fierce. But some of us just don't need to go there anytime soon. Thus I would personally love a higher-end HD system.

My budget would max out a bit higher than a C100 Mark II. I already own EF lenses, so that's a huge plus.

I did briefly eye the more stripped-down C200B, but for my needs I'd have to add a couple of add-ons, and that would then go beyond my budget.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Of course one can go on and on about the look of footage, the ergonomics, and the various recording modes... for some of us it comes down to how easy is it to consistently get pretty pictures!

Having been raised on Sony, I’m the worst kind of Canon fanboy - a convert!

A co-worker looked really hard at what his next camera would be, and ended up with a Panny EVA1. Just had it a week, so he’s still just getting started with it, but so far so good.

Price is squarely competitive with the C200.
60fps 150Mbps 10:2:2 at 4k on SD cards. Various other overcranking and variable FPS modes.
EF mount - use your canon lenses, and enjoy additional in-camera electronic IS.
Is there a 400Mbps codec coming in a firmware update? Would require higher-standard SD cards.

So, yeah, if broadcast-like specs and slowmo figure into your decision making, I’d consider the EVA1. I’m not using it, so don’t have a real sense of its performance, but I do hope to have some hands-on.
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
I would love to see a system with an S35 sensor (with 4K or slightly higher resolution), but recording to HD in either 10 or 12-bit RAW Light, 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 or some other flavor giving at least 10-bit 4:2:2.
Canon has already offered that exact camera for a while. It's the C300 mkII.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems