A few weeks in here is my configuration. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 17th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Inner Circle

A few weeks in here is my configuration.

Well, I've had my C200 for a few weeks. Shot a couple of events with it. My early impression is it was the right move for me. I wanted a hybrid camera between an DSLR and my XF300s which have auto focus. But I wanted the DSLR for the lens and the mad ISO since inevitably people want to turn out the lights at weddings.

Here are some pictures of what I've come up with so far, The handle I got from Small Rig is much better IMO, than that crazy Canon stock one. Other than my configuration looking like a spaceship off Battlestar Galactica, I like it. I'm sure it will change.

Like most reviews I've read about the C200, I agree, the stock Canon monitor is pretty much useless in any sun or reflection. I'm sure they did that style monitor build because it needs to be a touchscreen. So I get it. Just beware in any bright sun or reflective light, it can get tricky. The EVF is where I live.

The ISO on this thing is crazy. And the dual pixel focus has done well during dancing etc. I am trying to move away from on-camera lighting to stands with lights if I need them. So far, I haven't been surprised by anything other than the battery life. Leaving the auto-focus on continuous will eat batteries like Wimpy eats hamburgers. I have four small ones and one large one might get another small one so I'm not so stressed. Getting enough batteries for me to feel comfortable will probably run along a mortgage payment or two. :}

I spent months researching this camera since I wanted to downsize a bit from my XFS, and I'm pretty happy so far. No camera is perfect, but it's an upgrade for me for sure.

Anyway, we are still on our honeymoon so if any issue creeps up, I'll try and update.
Attached Thumbnails
A few weeks in here is my configuration.-camera1.jpg   A few weeks in here is my configuration.-camera2.jpg  

A few weeks in here is my configuration.-camera3.jpg   A few weeks in here is my configuration.-camera4.jpg  

Last edited by Steven Davis; April 18th, 2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: My OCD and great advice wanted to fix the Canon logo..
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: A few weeks in here is my configuration.

Well done Steven, many thanks for posting these pics.

A tip... ya gotta rotate that lens cap a bit so the branding reads level!

Do you have the *big* batteries in it?

And... isn't there a joystick for menu nav without the touchscreen? I can't recall.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Oops, I should have rotated it.

And yes, there are three joysticks, one in the rear of the body, one on the monitor and one on the right grip.

That picture shows the small battery. The big one sticks out a bunch. It's kinda humorous.
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

At least a few vendors have the BP-A60 large battery now for a slight discount. I picked one up from Full Compass last year for $368.00 when everyone else was at $499.00 but alas, Full Compass is no longer at that price. Amazon, B&H and Adorama are all at $429.00 now, which is still ridiculous but better than $499.00.

The SWIT battery replacement they showed at NAB will be less but they couldn't figure out the plate connection so it has a wonky external DC output you have to plug into the DC input. And you can only use their charger to charge it. Pass
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Curious to know why you use 2 shotgun mics.
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Re: Two shotguns.

This is my event roaming rig. So live sound, impromptu interviewing, etc. I use this on a mono-pod roaming around. The two shotguns worked well on my last two events. The Sennheiser and Rode aren't my ideal combination, but they work for what I do during live events. I'm entirely too paranoid to just go with one audio input. That idea makes my skin crawl. :}

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems