Canon Cinema EOS C100 Mark II? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 11th, 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Cinema EOS C100 Mark II?

I need to replace my camera after it fully broke. I only have a small budget. I'm looking at a C100. I am shooting talking heads with a SDOF. How does this camera achieve SDOF in a small spaces? Do they still match up to the bigger cameras? I like that it says it's for a "one person shooter". Does this camera still achieve broadcast quality results? Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by Patrick Bronte; May 11th, 2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Bad punctuation
Patrick Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon Cinema EOS C100 Mark II?

If you are comfortable with HD for however many months/years of use it will take you to justify the cost, the C100m2 is an excellent HD cam with a Super35 sensor and great controllability and features.

It’s oriented just towards the cinematography side, but is still pretty versatile for videography. It can take any of the EF and EF-S mount lenses. Its sensor is comparable in DoF potential to all the Canon/Nikon crop-sensor cameras, but, if super-shallow is your style, there’s no substitute for a “full-frame” 35 sensor, such as in Canon’s 5D or 6D series. Myself, I like both eyes in focus, so, Super35 works for me!

With either approach, Super35 or full-frame, you’ll need some fast lenses to acheive shallowest DoF.

The C100 series certainly can produce excellent visual quality when used and lit right. But, there are a few elements that make “broadcast-quality” what it is. If you truly need to prepare programming to broadcast engineering standards, you need to record to a broadcast codec. Few or none of the under-$5000 USD cams meet the common minimum engineering specs. But, a C100 can make a really good image, that is totally fine for web distribution, and, does appear in some broadcast programming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems