Great Adapter News - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Andersen View Post
Even with the firmware upgrade coming tomorrow, it seems that pre-AF Nikon lenses are still the way to go. Not least for the low cost.
It depends...

Nikons are inexpensive and are very nice mechanically, but...

* The camera is able to correct for lens falloff before the codec with EF lenses.

* We can now use image stabilization, since we don't have to unscrew/tape the lens.

* Some EF lenses are especially nice, like the 24mm f/1.4 L, where there is no direct Nikon competition.

* For those who also want to take stills, having modern functions is really nice.

Personally, I think manual lenses are fine at the wide end and for macros. I like the features with the longer stuff. With 85mm and above, I tend to photograph things that move. Being able to turn the camera on, put it in full auto and hit the shutter release can make the difference between getting the moment and not.

The nice thing with manual controls is we now have the choice to buy Canon lenses or adapted lenses. I'm going with Canon for the stills compatibility.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM   #47
Major Player

Jon,

Your points are correct but as an owner of several L lenses like the 35 f1.4 and 24mm f1.4, having been using the new manual firmware for a while, I can still say the use of manual glass is my preference. I still think the ability to focus smoothly and 'ride' the aperture wins for me. To each their own I guess.

That said the new firmware make the Canon glass really usabable and there are situations where I'm sure I will use Canon lenses now. The 'best' Canon lenses for video IMHO are going to be the TS-E range which still have nicely damped manual focus rings, or the Zeiss ZE range.

I agree totally that for stills a Canon lens is best, but I prefer Nikon camera bodies for photo work.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Andersen View Post
Even with the firmware upgrade coming tomorrow, it seems that pre-AF Nikon lenses are still the way to go. Not least for the low cost.

I'm coming late to the 5dmkii, and it looks like Kawa adapters are no longer available on eBay. Anyone know where they can be obtained, or what other adapters work equally well?
I just ordered and received three today.
Link:Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body - eBay (item 290316494975 end time Jun-10-09 01:09:37 PDT)
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM   #49
Major Player

Perfect, thanks. I just ordered 4.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Your points are correct but as an owner of several L lenses like the 35 f1.4 and 24mm f1.4, having been using the new manual firmware for a while, I can still say the use of manual glass is my preference. I still think the ability to focus smoothly and 'ride' the aperture wins for me. To each their own I guess.
With more budget, I might choose the same. Having a limited budget, it's great to be able to buy one lens that works well for both stills and video.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
With more budget, I might choose the same. Having a limited budget, it's great to be able to buy one lens that works well for both stills and video.
Yes, that's absolutely true:) The new firmware does make life a lot easier.

Dan
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The whole point of the 5D2 (exaggerating slightly) is to get tight DOF. You can't do that with zooms. I'm going to be using my 35mm f1.4 and renting some big f1.2 glass for higher focal lengths. You can dial down the DOF of course, but I want to have the tight DOF option in every setup.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:35 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
The whole point of the 5D2 (exaggerating slightly) is to get tight DOF. You can't do that with zooms...
Agreed. By "one lens that works well for both stills and video", I mean that I can buy a Canon prime of a given focal length, and I don't have to buy a second lens of the same focal length for video. My EF 50mm f/1.4 does both jobs.

Actually, with my 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, I can get a surprisingly tight DOF at 5.6, just because of the long focal length. I'm selling it, not because of the DOF limitations, but because I want better low light performance for video.

Most of these photos (aside from the logs and the fleeing bunnies) were shot with that lens. Spring 2009 (If anybody wants to buy the lens, please contact me.)
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:36 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
The 'best' Canon lenses for video IMHO are going to be the TS-E range which still have nicely damped manual focus rings, or the Zeiss ZE range.
Dan, I'm finding second hand Contax mount Zeiss lenses to be much more affordable than the ZE's. Of course they require the use of an adaptor, but would you recommend them vis-a-vis Nikkors?

Right now I can see Contax Carl Zeiss T* 85mm f1.4 & 180mm/2.8 T* in the US$400-$500 range which seems pretty attractive.

I ask you because I've been checking out your stellar photojournalism all over the web - you're one of the best. Many thanks,

Josh
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:51 AM   #55
Major Player

Josh,

Thanks, personally I use the Contax Zeiss lenses and I do recommend them as they are easy to adapt and focus the 'right' way round for a video camera. They are sharp and have a lovely look that I just love. There are some focal lengths that are still not available in ZF or ZE mount. Although some need slight modifications like filing down the the pins on the rear of the lens, its not hard to do. My current lineup of Contax lenses is 25mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 135mm f2.8, 180mm f2.8, 300mm f4 and 2x mutar convertor. The whole lot ran to around $3000US, not bad compared to Canon or Zeiss ZF equivalents.

Do I prefer them to Nikkors? well sometimes, I find Nikkor zooms easier to use when running around. My current favorites are the 17-35mm f2.8, 20-35mm f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8, all older designs which have aperture rings and don't alter length when you focus.

I also have a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 which is useful for running around, replacing the Tokina 28-70 f2.8 I was using before the manual exposure upgrade.

Hope that helps a little

Dan
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #56
Major Player

Thanks so much Dan, that gives me a lot of confidence to check out some Contax Zeiss glass!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM   #57
Major Player

Josh,

I think the real 'bargains' are the Zeiss 28mm f2.8, the 50mm f1.4, the 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f2.8. All can be found for great prices if you shop around.

Dan
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Dan,

Could you elaborate why you prefer the Contax Zeiss primes to the Nikkors? I'll be doing video work that will always go through a heavy color correction pass, so I'm wondering if the particular saturation/contrast characteristics of the Zeiss lenses might be evened out once you factor in color correction, of if there are "other" special qualities that make you prefer the Zeiss primes. I've been very impressed with all your work on guardian and Vimeo so any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks so much,

Ryan
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
The whole point of the 5D2 (exaggerating slightly) is to get tight DOF. You can't do that with zooms.
That's so not true. Thin DOF is a function of multiple factors, and given the right focal length, distance to subject, distance to background, an f2.8 zoom is entirely capable of thin DOF. Maybe not razor thin, but plenty thin enough to get that look. Just saying...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #60
Trustee

Kawa Nikon lens to EOS adapter rings...Watch 'em!

I had to settle for the T1i and no telling if Canon will ever do a firmware upgrade for that model. So I had to go the manual Nikkor lens route.

I ordered one of the Kawa adapters and the groove for the AI "lugs" was not machined deep enough. The "lug" would jam against the bottom of the groove and not allow the lens to turn all the way into the adapter.

The seller did replace it, but the replacement wouldn't fit either so I sent that one back and the ebay merchant preferred to refund and cancel the transaction.

One of the members of this site had an extra that he sent me and it fits perfect. They are now apparently "churning" these things out in China with little regard for specifications so it looks like for additional adapters I'll be going with the Bower brand at $39.95. Looks a little more "robust" in photos.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD