Anyone using Small HD for 5D, etc... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Trustee

Anyone using Small HD for 5D, etc...

I'm looking at adding a monitor for the 5D as I'm using this as a second camera on interview shoots.
What i'm thinking is using a monitor connected to the 5D and I'll run this cable and monitor on to my Sony PMW 500 so I can keep a check on the talent that the 5D is shooting.

This has brought me to the Small HD monitor.

Is anyone using this? If so, is this worth the purchase?

Or, is there something else out that I have yet to discover.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a SmallHD DP6 and love it. The build quality is great- it's light but feels extremely solid. Works great with a 5D. I would highly recommend it. But if your only need is to monitor talent for interviews and you're not going to be using it for critical focusing or exposure, etc. then maybe check out one of the less expensive lower resolution Marshall monitors if you want to save a few bucks.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Scott,

Does the DP6 show the 5D in HD or SD. I read somewhere that the DP6 is only showing SD out of the 5D.
Also what accessories have you purchased for the DP6.

Cheers
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The 5D hdmi output is in 1080i HD but when you start recording it switches to 480 SD. So no matter what monitor you use you will always only see an SD image while recording with the 5D. Some monitors like the SmallHD DP6 will automatically adjust so the image stays full screen when the 5D switches from HD to SD. Other monitors will drop the size of the image when the 5D switches.

Accessories- I bought the sunshade and screen protector which I think are must haves. The rest of accessories just depend on your needs.
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Scott,

I'll be placing an order for the DP6 for both the use with the 5D and other cameras.
One last question, what power source are you using to power the DP6?

Cheers
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Major Player

I didn't buy the DP6 battery pack but rather bought the Canon 5D battery adapter (even though I don't own a 5D) because the aftermarket batteries off fleabay are so cheap. I bought myself a bunch of them with an external charger and the adapter takes two of them so they give me heaps of running time. It was a very cheap option.

I bought the sunshade and the solid screen protector as well as I thought it was a good idea to protect my expensive screen
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Simon you will definitely be happy with the DP6. SmallHD are a great group and have great customer service.

I went with the 5D battery plate because it seemed more convenient and less proprietary. The DP6 comes standard with a power supply for wall plug in and an auto adapter for powering from a car.

Check out the tutorial videos on the SmallHD site for a good overview of all the features and accessories.

Scott
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Major Player

You can also buy a AB cable acces. to power the DP6 off of Anton Bauer or other batteries that your Sony 500 might use. Love the DP6. I use it with my Sony XDCM HD camera as well as a Canon 7D. The HDMI/SDI model offers more flexibility if you are using it with multiple cameras and to future proof the investment. It is more money but gives you more options.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks guys,

Yes I have been looking at the SDI version and think that this would be a better solution.

Cheers
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone using Small HD for 5D, etc...

Denny,

If interested, I purchased one for my 5D but have never used it and am looking to sell it. It is the SDI version I believe but will have to double check. I bought the kit with the small lion battery, etc,. plus the sleeve, acryllic protector, mini to normal hdmi cable....If you want, give me a shout....

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa
jlm_photog@yahoo.com
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Major Player

You might find these useful....

Check out my blog for the full review.

Regards

Paul.
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Trustee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the vid's.
I have ordered the DP6 HD-SDI after a lot or research and now looking forward to using it.

Cheers,
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Thanks for posting these Paul, I've always wanted to know how these monitors handled the 5D.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD