600d / T3i Overheating questions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1
New Boot

600d / T3i Overheating questions?

Hi,

Does 600d / T3i overheat like T2i? The new T3i is very similar to 60D .I've seen reports that 60D does not overheat. Is the overheating problem solved due swivel LCD?

Could somebody test/conform that?

Tom
Tomasz Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 600d / T3i Overheating questions?

Well it's still a bit early to tell. I think a number people need to use them in practical situations in a broad range of environments before we can make a definitive statement as to whether or not the overheating is fixed.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Trustee

I never overheated my t2i at room temps, nor have I ever overheated my 60D are room temp when whe powered up pretty much continuously.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Trustee

This is precisely the reason why I said it is too early to tell - because everybody's experience will be different depending on their shooting style and surroundings, and possibly even due to discrepencies between individual cameras.

You are lucky enough to not have encountered overheating on the 550d, despite the fact it is well recognised as a real or potentially real issue. So we can see that one persons experience is not always indicative of the greater picture.

Hence, we must wait until the 600d has been thoroughly put through it's paces by a range of people in a range of environments before we can draw any conclusions.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Major Player

So far so good on my T3i -- my T2i overheated all of the time (mostly outdoors, or very warm rooms). Just returned from FL shooting outdoors -- no overheating...
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Major Player

No overheating yet for me, but I've yet to shoot much in temps above 0C :)
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Tomasz,

My old T1i never overheated, even in Hawaii, but that wasn't full HD
My friend's 7D overheated in a small room (with some lights Halogens but it wasnt very warm) where my T2i didn't...
My T2i just overheated after 25 min while my 60D didn't
My 60D hasn't overheated yet, but I really havent pushed it that hard.

So far so good for the 60D!
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #8
New Boot

Thank you all for the input.

It seems that, the swivel lcd makes a big difference. It gives more cooling surface.
Tomasz Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Any overheating with the 600D/T3i?

Is anyone experiencing this issue with this camera? Currrently using 550D and am considering the upgrade only if this issue is eliminated.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Trustee

Brian, it seems there is a great improvement in the 600D/60D over the 550D/7D with regards to overheating. One possibility is that the swivel LCD screen removes one of the main contirbuting factors away from the rest of the body.

If you're having serious overheating problems, an upgrade is most likely worth it. Personally I've not had my 550D overheat yet despite shooting outdoors in very hot direct sunlight.
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #11
Major Player

I've shot in direct sunlight numerous times with the 60d and t3i and had no problems with overheating.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yea I have 2 t2i's and a t3i. One of the t2i's always overheats faster than the other. But they will both start to heat with continuous recording of 30 minutes or more. Even faster if it is outside or in direct sunlight. I plan to upgrade all of my t2is to t3i's in the next few months. Upgrading is the only true fix. It becomes very frustrating when your in the middle of a wedding and your cameras start to overheat, and you have to make a decision to shut them down by staggering or continue to let them run. Especially when you don't know when the ceremony will be over. Best to just shut one down then alternate. I don't like doing that, because you completely lose that angle for a few minutes. So for me, especially when people are paying you, I must upgrade. Structured shoots are easier to work around this, because its not continuous recording. You can somewhat control the environment and production more to be able to benefit the camera situation. But the t3i also has some other features that will make the upgrade worth it. Especially the things that magic lantern can't do like swivel screen and digital zoom!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks all for the input. It looks like the T3i is the way to go to eliminate the overheating.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Major Player

I have shot 4 hours per day for a week on a reality show recently and the T3i did not overheat.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD