7d vs 5dmkII article at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Trustee

7d vs 5dmkII article

I know it doesn't answer ALL your questions but no article ever can. Hopefully it will help you decide as only you can decide, not me!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive “5d or 7d”, That is the question…
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thank you Phil...

You da MAN ;)
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice article!

The only thing missing is a discussion of Magic Lantern. (Have you taken it for a spin yet? With three cams in hand and the fact that there are no reported failures due to ML, the risk is minuscule.) Tramm expects to port it to the 7D in a few months time, but there are no guarantees, as he doesn't have a 7D at this time.

The implication is that you must do double system sound on the 7D for the time being. You have to take the extra time to snap photos and check histograms, as compared to using live zebras, histogram, and waveform. And you can't do press-of-a-button rack focus to a set point. Yet.

I REALLY hope that Canon gives us 24/25p - and 720/60 - on the 5D. And I hope that somebody donates a 7D to Tramm, so the port happens quickly.

Once the firmware playing field is level, then Canon will have a killer one-two punch. The only questions when deciding between the cams will be the angle of view, lenses, and roughly one thousand dollars.
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Trustee

yep Magic Lantern is cool but as it is not official it can't be included in the equation!
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
yep Magic Lantern is cool but as it is not official it can't be included in the equation!
It's a big part of my equation. I don't shoot video (or audio - especially audio) on the 5D2 without it.

But my equation doesn't include a pre-production unit from the manufacturer. That does change things a bit. :)

That said, Tim Smith, Product Manager of Digital Imaging at Canon USA, openly acknowledged the 3rd party firmware - even if he did think it was from Switzerland. :)

Digital Cinema Society - New Streaming
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Trustee

i can't mention Magic Lantern as it is not officially supported no matter how cool it is.

I record sound with my zoom h4n.

The pre production model as far as I know is identical to the production model. I saw no flaws in it.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Phil - Where is the rolling shutter comparison you mention in your article. I'd love to see that.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Is that part of an agreement with Canon to have access to the pre-production model? That sort of restriction would seem to require some disclosure on your review.

In my opinion, the requirement of two-system audio due to the always-on AGC and high analog gain settings on the stock 5D and 7D firmwares is a definite limitation that merits mention. Until we have Magic Lantern running on the 7D, the audio problems alone are very practical reasons to stick with the 5D.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning -- the 7D continues to output HD on the HDMI port while recording, while the stock 5D drops to 480p. This may or may not be fixed in a later version of Magic Lantern.

EDIT: The 7D records 48 KHz audio, while the 5D is only 44.1 KHz. This is less of a hassle than 30p versus 29.97 or 24p, but still worth mentioning in your comprehensive comparison.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Well, I can mention it. With the sound level meters, agc disabling, audio monitoring, zebras, and programable focus pull, Magic Lantern has to be considered.

My hope is that Canon hasn't decided to cramp the access Tramm has gained to the 5D on the 7D
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Is that part of an agreement with Canon to have access to the pre-production model? That sort of restriction would seem to require some disclosure on your review.

In my opinion, the requirement of two-system audio due to the always-on AGC and high analog gain settings on the stock 5D and 7D firmwares is a definite limitation that merits mention. Until we have Magic Lantern running on the 7D, the audio problems alone are very practical reasons to stick with the 5D.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning -- the 7D continues to output HD on the HDMI port while recording, while the stock 5D drops to 480p. This may or may not be fixed in a later version of Magic Lantern.

EDIT: The 7D records 48 KHz audio, while the 5D is only 44.1 KHz. This is less of a hassle than 30p versus 29.97 or 24p, but still worth mentioning in your comprehensive comparison.
No not at all! I have mentioned Magic Lantern many times but I can't include the cool things Magic Lantern does to the 5dmkII as a plus as it is not out of the box. That is what I am comparing.

You are doing awesome things with Magic Lantern. But I don't think people should be put off buying the 7d because it isn't running on it yet. I advocate recording sound separately but like the article all this is just my opinion!
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Well, I can mention it. With the sound level meters, agc disabling, audio monitoring, zebras, and programable focus pull, Magic Lantern has to be considered.

My hope is that Canon hasn't decided to cramp the access Tramm has gained to the 5D on the 7D
Paranoia and conspiracy grip DVInfo. I was not under any restrictions when getting the pre-production 7d other than saying it is a pre production model!

As I said, I am comparing the two cameras out of the box only! Surely that makes sense?

I am super pro Magic Lantern! I just want Canon to employ Tramm and get all these great features included as proper firmware!!
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Hey Phil - Where is the rolling shutter comparison you mention in your article. I'd love to see that.
-C
It's almost 1gb as its native and it's struggling to upload to Vimeo and Exposure Room
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #13
Trustee

But I will mention it as an addition to show support to Tramm as have done in past blogs.
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #14
Trustee

Where does 1/2" and 2/3" chips fit in size wise with the 5D and 7D?
Is there any info on this?

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Where does 1/2" and 2/3" chips fit in size wise with the 5D and 7D?
Is there any info on this?

Cheers
Here we go!
Attached Images

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD