Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability

I found that the Bogen 560B-1 monopod combined with the Velbon PH-368 head to be a great combo for the 7D. The total monopod package weighs in around 2.5 pounds, collapses very small, is very sturdy, and the head is buttery smooth. I lock the base of the head and use the 560B's fluid foot to pan which works very well. And it all fits on my backpack containing the 7D with the kit 18-135mm , 4 additional lenses, 4 batteries, a Hoodman, 2 chargers and a lot of other goodies!

I have 2 other PH-368 heads and find them to be extremely smooth, though short on features. It works very well coupled with this monopod for mobile use which was one of the main reasons for me getting a 7D in the first place!
Attached Thumbnails
Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability-img_6976.jpg   Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability-img_6977.jpg  

Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability-img_6979.jpg   Bogen 560B with Velbon PH-368 head a beautiful combination for portability-img_6986.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 12th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Roger,

Thanks for this post and sharing those images. That's a very sweet little setup you have there!

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Why do you use such a big head on a monopod since you will never be able to pan propperly anyway?
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Very nice... which backpack is that, Roger? Is it a Tamrac?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Looks like a Lowepro Flipside (they do 3 sizes, I think, a 100, but certainly a 200 & 300). Think this is one of the larger ones - was looking at it last week in Cambridge so that's how I know. I bought a Tamrac Areo 75 which is also excellent.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
Why do you use such a big head on a monopod since you will never be able to pan propperly anyway?
Matthias, certainly a monopod, even this one with the feet, isn't going to be as stable as a traditional tripod. If you consider it versus hand held, however, it's quite nice. The Velbon head is extremely smooth, costs $34, is plastic making it fairly light. The following is a behind-the-scenes clip I shot yesterday using only this monopod. I had to work around all the lights, reflectors, cords...., do it quickly and fit in spaces where a traditional tripod would have been a barrier to many of the shots:

I have several traditional tripods, but for high mobility work this is a combination that's hard to beat. The Bogen 560B-1 comes with a 234-RC head that doesn't have a fluid tilt. It locks and swivels like a still-camera head. I find that I need to do compound pan/tilt's too often to constrain myself with that head. The pod's base has a fluid panning joint just above the foot that pans very nicely. I just lock the Velbon head's pan control and use the Velbon head's tilt in concert with the pod's pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Very nice... which backpack is that, Roger? Is it a Tamrac?
Chris, this is a LowePro Flipside 300. It has just the right mix of room, exterior size, and real back-pack features like nice padded straps, sternum strap, and adjustments that allow you to carry it for long trips or just use the top handle as a traditional kit bag. I also appreciate the little tripod pocket that pops out of the base to hold a monopod or tripod foot along with a top strap to secure the body of the pod to the pack.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 15th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm a big mono pod fan too. And I have a back pack set up like yours. How do you attach you monopod to the pack? I haven't come up with a good method yet.
I use this pack Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Major Player

The LowePro has a little pocket that extends out at the bottom of the back to hold a foot (or feet if small) and then a strap near the top of the back to hold the column of the pod. The pocket folds and tucks into a pouch on the bottom of the pack when not needed.
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
My monopod doesn't have feet, so I don't even use a head, you can pan just fine actually.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey Roger,

Can you mount a bogen 577 quick release plate on the Velbon head?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #11
Major Player

I believe you'd have to attach the 577 to the Velbon's quick release plate's camera lug which is 1/4". From what I see the 577 has a 3/8" bottom thread. That's easily resolved with a 1/4 to 3/8" thread adapter. One comes with the Velbon (integrated into its base) that you will take off to fit on the monopod's 3/8" base.

Good idea. I may try that myself so I can hopefully use my other 577 plate on my other Bogen pod in the 357 adapter (I would think that would work).
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD