nikon lenses on canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

nikon lenses on canon

I want to have the 7d but only if I can use my series of Nikon lenses. Is that possible with an adapter? I have read that to the panasonic GH1 any brand of lenses can be easily adapted. But what about Nikon to Canon?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #2
Trustee

You can get the Nikon to Canon adapters for around $30, and they work fine. It is a pain to takethem on and off, but if you plan on using yuour Nikon lenses mainy with the 7d, you could leave an adapter on each lens.
I bought the fancy one with the chip from fotodiox ($140). It has a special chip that lets you take advantage of Canon's focus while using the Nikon lens.

I made a difficult decision after having my 7d for a couple of weeks. I shoot photography also, and had a d200, d80, 2 sb800 flashes, an su800 controller, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and an 85 1.4. I sold all of it and bought one canon flash, 2 pocket wizzards, a 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and a Tokina 1-16 2.8.
Now I can use eveything for both video and photography.

Good luck.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #3
New Boot

its possible

Yes its possible, there are some different kinds of adaptors available and varying prices. You'll find the cheap ones from 'KAWA' are better than the expensive ones. Plenty on eBay.
regards,
Phil
Phil Yisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I bought the fancy one with the chip from fotodiox ($140). It has a special chip that lets you take advantage of Canon's focus while using the Nikon lens.
Bruce Yarock
So, if I understand well, then it IS possible to have autofocus with a Nikon lens on the Canon body??
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Rob, I have a situation like yours - Canon 7D and Nikon glass. The adapters work great, but the "autofocus chip" only allows the 7D to show an indicator light in the viewfinder when focus is attained. All focusing is done manually.

BTW, Nikon G lenses will not work as you will have no aperture control. You can use them wide open, or not at all.

Last edited by Paul Cascio; December 29th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Paul Cascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Rob,
Ditto what Paul said. It's a small green box indicator that beeps wwen you acheive focus, but you still have to do it manually.

Paul-
How's the weather up there? I'm originaly from Waterbury.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Bruce, today might be the nastiest day of all time in CT. It's about 20 degrees and the wind is howling at about 40mph. We've had two power failures already.

Fortunately, I split time between here and Clermont, FL. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to be in Florida in the winter and CT in the summer. :)
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is there any sign of a new Nikon (with full HD) or a Panasonic with higher bitrates coming up?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD