Recieved my 7D today! Wide-Angle lens advice (have 2 in mind) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Major Player

The Tokina 11-16mm is the bees knees.

Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Wow - thats an amazing photo
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Canon 10-22mm versus Tokina 11-66mm for 7D

Just to add to this thread.... as I've just bought a Canon 10-22mm wide angle for my 7D! Should have it in a few days assuming the delivery van can drive through the deep snow we've now got forecast! :-)

I read a ton of on-line reviews on what seems like every camera forum/site on Earth the last few days.... and it was not an easy choice but I thought I'd share why I went the direction I did. This might help others considering the Tokina 11-16mm versus Canon 10-22mm "dilemma", especially for the video-centric like us. Bear in mind I've not got the Canon lens yet - or handled the Tokina either. From what I've read, both are super lenses and which one is right for you depends on your own needs, but for me, in no particular order...

Tokina 11-16 Pros
(1) Constant F2.8 - no other super wide zoom lens for the 7D can match that!
(2) Sharp
(3) More solid build quality
(4) Bigger/wider focus ring

Tokina 11-16 Cons
(1) Very susceptible to lens flare - and I like to take lots of pictures with backlighting (often sun backlit) for effect, so this was an important issue for me. I've seen some flare issues/loss of shots with my otherwise excellent Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS AF USM EF-S and don't want any worse than what that gives for sure. This could be an issue with such a wide lens used for video where you're moving around (from what I've experienced with the 17-55, especially outside with a low sun).
(2) Very limited zoom range, really it's a prime with a very fine adjustment for framing! Sure, in video work I'm not going to do any zooming anyway (with the ergonomics of the 7D, except in post).
(3) In the UK at least, very, very similar in cost to the Canon (which I got with Hoya Pro filter and special Canon shade for £600, by the way). There seems to be a shortage of Tokina 11-16s at the moment... so those that have them...
(4) Very slightly slower/noisier AF - but it's super wide so I doubt this is really any issue - as very little won't be in focus/will need focus adjustment (and in video I only use AF before I hit record anyway). Or, if I want to throw away a second in edit and re-autofocus, whilst I'm still video recording, I just just press the AF On button on the back of the 7D (this works even during video recording). Mostly, I manual focus with video though for obvious reasons.
(5) Moderate, i.e. noticeable, chromatic aberration, possibly more than Canon from what I've read.

Canon 10-22 Pros
(1) Less barrel distortion - except perhaps at full wide, 10mm, but very consistent across the range for a wide angle. This is very important to me as I'm doing a lot of architectural/commercial design photography/videography on the wide end with my EX3 and that has quite noticeable barrel distortion (which has resulted in some shots being totally unusable in editing).
(2) More useful zoom range, meaning I won't have to take off/swap lenses so often, and a nice overlap with my next lens up.
(3) Little bit lighter in weight - minor point but I do like to keep my 7D kit as minimal in weight as possible as I walk a lot with it.
(4) I like the Canon "anytime manual" focus ring approach, where you can just give it a nudge if you don't like what AF gave you. With the Tokina you have to snap the focus ring into a different position to go full manual (much like on my EX3) - which may give a judder if you're hand holding whilst recording video and just want to tweak focus to catch a fleeting moment better.
(5) Closer minimum focus than the Tokina - allowing a bit more creative scope (and it goes a tad wider to 10mm too!). Note to self, better polish my shoes as they'll be in shot sometimes!!!

Canon 10-22 Cons
(1) Slower lens, F3.5 is as fast as it gets on the wide end and by the 20-22mm area it's F4.5, so really more an outdoor lens or I might need to light my subjects if indoor (which I often do anyway if it's paying work). Bit of a pain it's not constant aperture - for video when framing/setting up the shot. Anyway, I'm also planning to buy a super fast general lens very shortly for the 7D/indoor/low light work, so no worries.
(2) You have to buy the shade separately - come on Canon get real!
(3) That's another EF-S lens I've just bought - mind you I don't think the crop format is leaving our (or more importantly my) future anytime soon...

Like I wrote, both appear to be great lenses - but that's why I just spent £600 on the Canon offering (including the necessary extras).

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 5th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: adding info/typos
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #19
Major Player

nice one Andy..

Ive also been trailing through sites today with a view to getting a wide angle sometime soon.. It can get a bit confusing trying to weed out the pros and cons that are relevant for video guys.

Very good summary even if you haven't used either, I'm sure you made a good choice and from what I've read i have no doubt theyre both fantastic lenses.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for the thanks! Had the Canon 10-22mm a few weeks now - thrilled with it - no regrets at all. Super lens!

However, if anyone does decide on the Toki, I've just read on other threads etc. that the Tokina 11-16 seem to have become available again - and then sold out almost as fast, at least at B&H in the States! Not sure about our side of the pond regarding availability but a few weeks ago they were very hard to find, at least at a sensible price.

Next purchase for me is going to be a Canon 70-200mm F4 IS AF USM. I have the F2.8 IS version on loan for a month at present from a 5DMkII owning mate - great lens but I've begun to see that it's just too blumming big, way too heavy and definitely unnecessarily expensive for my needs - so I'd rather buy the F4 version which I'll do before I have to hand this big baby back!
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Major Player

+1 to the Tokina 11-16, and Andy is spot on with his assessment of it
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Im currently debating between getting the Tokina 11-16 or the Canon 16-35..

Now of course they are a different focal range to each other, but as someone who plans on upgrading to a 5d2 when the firmware comes out.. is it a waste of money buying the tokina as it'll probably end up being too wide for a 5d2..

The tokina is half the price of the canon however.. tough decision.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I thought the Tokina only fits APC-C camera body. Does it even work with the 5d?
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #24
Major Player

Good point, completely forgot about that.

Tokina it is.

Can sell it with the 7D body if i do upgrade in the end anyway.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylus Harrington View Post
I thought the Tokina only fits APC-C camera body. Does it even work with the 5d?

some folks use the lens on the 5d with a TC... works fine...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM   #26
Tourist

I'm pretty interested in the Tokina as well, but I just read this on the BHPhoto website: Only fits on the EOS Digital Rebel series or 50D, 40D, 30D & 20D SLR cameras

Do you need an adaptor to mount this lens on a 7d?
Jason Mongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:21 AM   #27
Regular Crew

No adapter required for 7D... just order the Canon mount version... B&H just didn't list the
7D...

And if you need it to fit it on a 5D you use a TC for that camera body. Then the 5D has the
same reach as the 7D with that lens...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM   #28
Major Player

Go with the Canon EF-S 10-22, with 77mm filter threads. You will be thankful, for a number of reasons.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:43 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Wow, had no idea so many others shared the same question and uncertainty regarding wide angels.

Thanks to a lot of feedback and research, I ended up getting the Tokina and while the feel is different, I have really enjoyed it. Only in still mode, I have noticed some distortion while at 11mm.

Heres the Tokina in action:

Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #30
Major Player

My Tokina arrived. Love it. So theres another happy customer.

Anyone using it with a CP filter?

Ken Rockwell said in his review - "Avoid using a polarizer, because with lenses this wide you'll more likely get a dark band across your sky than a dark sky. This is because sky polarization differs as you look across the sky, and wide lenses see a huge swath of sky."

Tokina 11-16mm

Has anyone come across this? coming from a video background using a Polar on a wide lens has always been pretty standard for me.

So not sure whether or not to purchase one for the Tokina..
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD