Sigma 30mm 1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Sigma 30mm 1.4

Anyone use this lens on a regular basis?

Yesterday I was looking at the Canon 35mm F2.0, Sigma 30mm 1.4 and also the Canon 35mm 1.4

35/2.0 was okay, didn't feel great abd the focus ring was average. Could have done with being faster also.
Sigma, I was really surprised, it looked great and felt pretty good. Image looked pretty good too as far as I could tell
35/1.4... awesome lens just expensive

Does anyone have any feedback on the Sigma?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm wondering, doesn't a 30mm lens on a 7d actually make it match what a 50mm lens would be on the 5d?
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Major Player

That is exactly right give or take a couple of mm, I'm looking for a fast prime with 50mm equiv.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Contributor

I like the Zeiss ZE 35 better than the Canon. Cheaper too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the Sigma. Great for video. Not so great for stills as I find it autofocuses pretty poorly/slowly. But it's nice and sharp and a good normal lens for video. I would hesitate from shooting below 2.0 as it softens a bit, but it's certainly a usable image wide open if you have to go that far.

I've shot with the Canon 35/1.4 and it rocks for video and stills. If you can afford it, it's awesome, but the Sigma is quite good in video land.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Major Player

It's 48mm equivalent which is in the "normal" range. The AF can be unpredictable at times, so flick the switch to MF when you're doing video. At 1.4 the DOF is so shallow its impossible. At 2.8 it's really good for faces.
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #8
New Boot

It's the lens that stays on the camera most often for me. It's a good middle of the road lens that is super fast. I use it at 1.4 all the time in darker venues with focus at infinity and it's not that soft. Even bringing it closer 1.4 is not unusable, just depends on the shot.

this was musician shot at 1.4 with the sigma 30mm and the room was fairly dark
Ryan Hargrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just used this lens on a music video, shooting in a cramped cubby house, it was a perfect focal length, it was difficult to get light in without making bad shadows so the speed was great.

Its very nice as a widish lens for shooting people and other 3d objects. It has a very strong focus curvature that gives nice blurred backgrounds but makes it impossible to get sharp results from corner to corner
Coupled with that the corners and sides are soft even if you focus specifically on an object on the sides.

Nice saturated color and contrast.

Infinity is tricky, your still best to set focus using your eyes rather then the scale. Digital zoom focussing is a god send.

Its fast but to be honest it doesn't get much brighter between 1.4 and 1.8

Mine front focuses, Autofocus is useless, sending it back for calibration when I don't need it.
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Jes.. the amount of people who have had issues with lens is nuts....

Sam:- Did yours always front focus or has it happened over time?
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Font focussed out of the box. I didn't take it back in the return period because I needed it now and for video it is fine.

I actually think my 550d might be partly the culprit, my 50. f1.8 also front focuses slightly as does a 70-300 old kit lens I had kicking around. The 18-55 is kit lens that came paired with it focuses bang on target though.

The sigma is by far the worst, front focusing about 2 times more than the canon 50mm, It never goes near infinity on the scale no matter how far away an object.

I dont know why Canon don't put focus calibration/offset on all models, surely it would only save them money in both returned lenses and camera bodies.
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Sam, I will actually take my 7D into the shop I buy it to check. What is the best and fastest way to check? Focus on something close check, then repeat for distances getting further and further away?
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

A menu, newspaper or a tape measure, get down to the level of the table to exaggerate distances, something where you can pick a line, focus on it, take a picture and then zoom in to see how close you are, shoot at minimum aperture to make any problems stand out. Take a whole bunch of pictures so you can be sure it is a consistent problem.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #14
New Boot

I like the Sigma lens a lot Jonathon...images are great and the price is...well...unbeatable for an f1.4

Phil Yisrael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD