DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Stand by for the *official* 7D announcement... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/344299-stand-official-7d-announcement.html)

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2009 10:49 AM

Stand by for the *official* 7D announcement...

Judging from material posted halfway around the world in China, it would seem that we're just a few hours away from getting the official word from Canon Inc. / Canon USA about the forthcoming EOS 7D. Looks like HD video recording will be a big part of the package... stand by, the floodgates are about to open!

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2009 09:52 PM

Getting closer...

www.xitek.com/topic/eos/eos-7d.html

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2009 10:06 PM

And since it's hit DP Review, we're now officially open for business:

Canon unveils EOS 7D high-end digital SLR: Digital Photography Review

and

Just posted: Hands-on preview of the Canon EOS 7D: Digital Photography Review

and

Canon launches 15-85mm and 18-135mm EF-S lenses: Digital Photography Review

and

Canon EF 100mm F2.8L USM Macro with Hybrid IS: Digital Photography Review

Off we go!

Dutch Rall August 31st, 2009 10:31 PM

Am I dreaming Santa Claus?

Ray Thomas August 31st, 2009 10:48 PM

Another review.

Canon EOS 7D Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

Guy Cochran August 31st, 2009 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoomp there it is Canon Europe - Canon introduces the EOS 7D innovative technologies and intuitive build define a new photographic experience

Pat Reddy August 31st, 2009 10:57 PM

Some video samples

Canon has some 960 by 540 resolution video samples on this page:

Canon: EOS 7D Sample Images & Movies

They look good, but I think there are still some signs of aliasing artifacts in some of the scenes in "the Passage", e.g., the actors clothing, a vent in the train.

Pat

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2009 11:00 PM

Well, that could be a result of the web encoding process. No real way to know until some native clips are posted. It shouldn't be all that different from the 5D Mk. II.

Pat Reddy August 31st, 2009 11:08 PM

Even if it's the same as the 5D MkII in that regard, I will likely buy one. It's an amazing amount of camera for the price!

Pat

Chris Barcellos August 31st, 2009 11:46 PM

As 5D owner, my first thoughts are, why couldn't couldn't they do the same thing in a full frame sensor.

However, after looking at the 7D footage at Canon, I have to say it looks pretty nice.

And, really, these camera are where we need to move, ultimately.. The ability to buy good glass and move it around to bodies that suit particular needs.

Still photographers have had multiple bodies for years to fill various needs. Why not with video.

In this case the 7D brings 24 and 25fps, plus a slow motion boost in 60p. I have to say Bravo Canon... and hope the next in your line-- the 9D ? Does this in the full frame sensor.

Tommi Hares September 1st, 2009 12:43 AM

Judging on what is posted on the canon webpage, seems to me that the rolling shutter effect is less visible too?

Rick Hill September 1st, 2009 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommi Hares (Post 1296501)
Judging on what is posted on the canon webpage, seems to me that the rolling shutter effect is less visible too?

Rolling shutter is definitely there.

Tommi Hares September 1st, 2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hill (Post 1296869)
Rolling shutter is definitely there.

It's there, but I got the feeling, even Canon thinks they've managed to improve it compared to the 5DMkII, because they are showcasing so many fast moving shots.

Pat Reddy September 1st, 2009 08:16 AM

Dpreview has posted a full-rez sample. The aliasing artifacts are evident in the grills on the building and car. Questions I have for everyone are: what do think of the dynamic range? - there are lots of blown highlights - what are your thoughts on resolution? Obviously it's not wise to make too much of a single clip, especially when we don't know how the camera was set up for the shot, but I'm wondering what 5D Mk II owners think of its performance.

Pat

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 08:20 AM

I would much rather evaluate a native file shot by an experienced videographer.