7D movie modes full listing... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert View Post
Excuse my ignorance but how does shooting work w/ the 12 minute limit? can I just pop in another CF card and continue shooting for another 12 minutes and so on? Or is there a heat limitation where the camera will not shoot for a particular amount of time? ie: what's the workflow like w/ the 12min limit? thank you.
Its the 32 bit address limit in their file system. If CF card is large enough, you can just quickly stop and play to start a new file.
The camera can get too hot, but this hasn't happened to me.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Law View Post
As for the ridiculous EU Taxation law. That's why we came to the United States in the first place. Taxation -WITH- representation.

However, that said, I find that it's unlikely that the limitation is due to any EU limit on the length of the recording. Your stated limits were starting from 30 minutes. 12 minutes is nowhere near that amount.

Secondly, it's not that difficult to program in a firmware update that would automatically create new files at the end of each, this is a functionality that would take a dev about 12 hours to program, and maybe a week to QA with bugfixes. With the 300x and 600x UDMA cards these days that write at 45-90 MegaBYTES (not bits) a second, Canon should absolutely have no issue with creating a model that works a single 600x CF Card can keep up with Panasonic's P2 Card or even Sony's SxS overcranking ability.

Canon probably has a tougher time programming for and getting wireless handgrips to work in the USA vs anyplace in Europe where there ARE differences in regulated radio spectrum.

The simplest way Canon could "make" it work for USA and not the EU is to unlimit 24p and 30p clips and to limit 25p clips to <30 minutes.

So I am still convinced that Canon will be coming out with something soon. Their deliberate crippling of the 5D, 7D, and T1i states their intentions deliberately.
Also spanned recording may fall into the grey area of continous recording of longer then 30 minutes. If Canon makes the camera stop at 4GB then the EU cannot say it is recording for longer then 30 minutes. Spanned recording would move the camera into unlimited length recording which would clearly cause it to "earn" the heavier tax.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Contributor

So you get 12 minutes of full HD on 4 gigs? I assume 24 minutes on an 8 gig card, though not continuous recording of course?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

That's correct, Bill... and 48 minutes on a 16GB card. I believe the 32GB Compact Flash cards will be coming down in price fairly soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #20
Contributor

You have to use the SanDisk Extreme IV (45mbs) cards, or equivalent, right? I saw a 16 gig at CDW for about $250. Considerably less than P2 or SxS!
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Bill:

I am using 16 GB Kingston Elite Pros (133x) bought for $29 apiece. No issues, even when running Magic Lantern.

I have noted anecdotally that card issues are raised more in 32 gig chips, so I haven't gone there.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
Regular Crew

so let me get this straight...we're limited to 12 minute takes but onced stopped, we can immediately continue shooting for another 12 minutes and so on? is there a recommendation from Canon for a waiting period between each 12 minute take? i assume the 5D also has this limitation? if so, what's users experience? if the number of 12 minute takes is limited to the CF size, then I'm going to be purchasing 32 and 64GB cards.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Contributor

Good to know that cheaper cards work...I wasn't aware of the bits and bytes thing and thought we were talking bytes when talking bits in reference to the camera. That brings the card prices way down.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
As usual the most important information is missing:

Is the HDMI live or not?

Can anyone help.
This is (HDMI output quality) where Canon use a tricky approach. I have no doubt Chris has provided us with valid info on taxing matters, however the 4 Gb issue could be easily solved by adding AJA KI Pro to the system with "unlimited" recording time, let alone other goodies.
The cost of a 7D together with AJA KI Pro still remains in the tolerable range - providing the HDMI output is full 1080 which I am afraid is not.
Probably a CF card - adapter would fix the problem, remember how users "solved" the price issue of SxS cards in case of Sony's XDCAM EX line.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
Is the HDMI live or not?
It has live HDMI output while recording but unfortunately it is downsized to SD -- not very useful.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD