DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D have 24p but why not 5DM2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/346336-7d-have-24p-but-why-not-5dm2.html)

Zsolt Gordos September 1st, 2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Darling (Post 1296391)
It's so cheap that it might make sense for many to own both a 5D Mk II and a 7D.

This is what Canon is expecting. I had enough. I will sell off my 5DMkII and get a proper video cam. Its just too much hassle with the un-video ergonomics, you have to spend a fortune in order to make it at least a little suitable for video shooting and then you still stuck with a format and frame rate used nowhere in the video production. Processing, then quality not good, eh...

Brian Drysdale September 1st, 2009 02:12 PM

I believe that Canon etc offered the HD option originally for news stills photographers to meet the demands of news organisations like Reuters to shot video for their web pages without also sending out a video crew, which is why the cameras came out with only 30p and the auto controls.

The demand from film makers seems to have been an unexpected market, so these first generation cameras may not have the flexibility built in to be upgraded as quickly as people want.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 02:41 PM

Brian, to a T you have described it exactly the way I heard it too.

Bill Binder September 1st, 2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommi Hares (Post 1298532)
but the hardware of the 7D is not in par with the 5D Mark II hardware (5D2 hardware is MUCH better). I mean the 5D2 - in all areas - out performs the 7D. The ONLY thing the 7D has, is MORE SOFTWARE SETTINGS.

As a hardcore photographer, and someone who owns a 5D2 among other bodies, I'm not so sure. Here's a couple of examples from the spec sheet:

Quote:

The EOS 7D also incorporates a new metering system. The Focus Colour Luminance metering system (iFCL) intelligently measures focus, colour and luminance, across 63 zones. Complementing the 19 AF points, the dual layer sensor is able to gather information from each distinct zone to obtain a more accurate and consistent exposure.
Now maybe that's done with only software, but I doubt it.

Quote:

The EOS 7D features a 19-point cross-type AF sensor, enabling photographers to achieve accurate shots and optimise composition options. This improved AF system offers a range of manual and automatic settings including Zone and Spot AF to track and capture subjects quickly and accurately.
Hmmm... Not sure but I think my 5D2 has only 9 points, only ONE of which is cross type. Somehow I doubt that's just a software improvement.

Anyway, I absolutely love my 5D2, and as primarily a photographer, I'd never give up my FF just because of the wide angles. Not to say I wouldn't own a cropped body as a second, I would, and I do right now, so the 7D is actually looking mighty impressive to me at this point.

Zsolt Gordos September 1st, 2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1298888)
I believe that Canon etc offered the HD option originally for news stills photographers to meet the demands of news organisations like Reuters to shot video for their web pages without also sending out a video crew, which is why the cameras came out with only 30p and the auto controls.

The demand from film makers seems to have been an unexpected market, so these first generation cameras may not have the flexibility built in to be upgraded as quickly as people want.

Bryan, this only indicates their marketing and R&D folks were sitting in a heavily sealed vault all the time and followed no forums in the past 2-3 years, when all talking was about how to make the flat video looks more alive with various tricks. Redrock, Letus and let me not list all the makers of little black boxes that ripped millions of bucks from the wallets of those who wanted to use their Canon still lenses for better DOF. Canon guys never noticed that? Hmm, hard to believe. And excuse moi... I bend over in front of mighty Reuters, but how many bloody news photographers do they have (let alone all of them use Nikon)? is that A market? DA market??
The so called film makers market today is rapidly growing as no one wants to shoot video-ish looking videos anymore. Not even a wedding videographer. Now the borderline between amateur and pro is not the beach panning style anymore but the existence or lack of DOF and the PQ that only a good lens can deliver.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 1299005)
I absolutely love my 5D2, and as primarily a photography, I'd never give up my FF just because of the wide angles. Not to say I wouldn't own a cropped body as a second, I would, and I do right now, so the 7D is actually looking mighty impressive to me at this point.

I'm in the same boat. I really enjoy my 5D Mk. II primarily for taking photos, and I'm keeping it -- and I'm looking for a way to justify buying the EF 14mm f/2.8 L II rectilinear for it. And it looks like I'll be a 7D customer as well... all I need now is a fatter wallet.

Toenis Liivamaegi September 1st, 2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1299135)
EF 14mm f/2.8 L II rectilinear...

Pure Good. I've had FD and EF versions, priceless. The FD L version was so smooth and solid...

T

Chris Barcellos September 1st, 2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1299135)
all I need now is a fatter wallet.

Or we need the Administration to authorize a clunker buyout for video/photo gear. I got an FX1 with a bad firewire port I would trade....

Jim Froom September 1st, 2009 03:58 PM

Anybody see any information on file size and file size limits? I'm sure hoping I can record a longer sequence than 12-14 minutes or this all this new features are going to mean squat.

I ordered one today and would sell my GH1 which is my B cam, if I thought the file size limitation had been worked out. Hope I missed it, but haven't read anything about it so far.

Will be disappointed if the first reports of no manual audio settings are true.
Will also be disappointed if I can't record 30-60 minutes or more for one file.
Am already disappointed that the LCD is fixed.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there are more video settings to what they announced, but knowing Canon, I won't hold my breath.

Have the donations started to get T Hudson a 7D?

Toenis Liivamaegi September 1st, 2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Froom (Post 1299249)
Anybody see any information on file size and file size limits? I'm sure hoping I can record a longer sequence than 12-14 minutes or this all this new features are going to mean squat.

It is still 12min or 4G for Hi Def basically

T

Jim Froom September 1st, 2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1299251)
It is still 12min or 4G for Hi Def basically

T

How short sighted.

Just spent some more time on the Canon specs and I am not feeling full HDMI live out either.

Still not the complete package. Maybe Nikon will bring it.

Brian Drysdale September 1st, 2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 1299006)
Bryan, this only indicates their marketing and R&D folks were sitting in a heavily sealed vault all the time and followed no forums in the past 2-3 years, when all talking was about how to make the flat video looks more alive with various tricks. Redrock, Letus and let me not list all the makers of little black boxes that ripped millions of bucks from the wallets of those who wanted to use their Canon still lenses for better DOF. Canon guys never noticed that? Hmm, hard to believe. And excuse moi... I bend over in front of mighty Reuters, but how many bloody news photographers do they have (let alone all of them use Nikon)? is that A market? DA market??

I suspect stills camera manufacturers tend not to hang around video and film making forums. Quality film making is more than having a shallow DOF, some of the greatest films have a deep depth of field and a film's requirements may demand anything from a 1/3" to an IMAX camera.

If you're selling what is supposed to be a professional still camera system it is a market. Their demands have pushed the manufacture of fast telephoto lenses and other developments. The stills camera manufacturers will have seen that newspapers would have the same need for their web sites. Canon and Nikon are in competition and high end non-professionals also love having that pro kit, so increasing the production run.

People should bear in mind that most video cameras rarely, if ever have a 35mm adapter fitted.

Evan Donn September 1st, 2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommi Hares (Post 1298654)
You should think this question from a "new customer" perspective. What incitement does the new customer have to buy the 5DmkII, if the 7D (on paper) out performs it?

You should think of this question from a "not a video person" perspective. These are still cameras, sold primarily and in greatest volume to still photographers. There are plenty of people who would choose the 5D over the 7D simply because of the full frame sensor, and who don't really care about the video differences. I see the 5D and 7D relationship to be more like that of the 1D and 1Ds - which one you buy depends on what type of shooting you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Csakany (Post 1298876)
The same could be asked why didn't they enable full manual settings in video mode right off the bat on the 5D2, and had to release a firmware update to address this isssue?

Ok, but by the same token if it's a simple software issue why not enable the additional framerates when they released the manual control firmware update?

Quote:

One reason I've seen given is that Digic 4 may not support the frame rate; however, the 7D has the same processor (albeit 2 of them) and I don't see why a firmware couldn't implement these other modes. Besides, wouldn't 30p require more processing than 24p? After all, 24 fps represent a full 20% reduction in the number of frames to be captured and processed compared to 30.
It sounds logical to me, but I'm not a video engineer. It could be that it's not simply a question of processing power but of something in the nature of the hardware itself. I think you're right that they were caught off guard by the popularity of the video features. To me it seems plausible that there is some sort of hardware clock that regulates the rate at which data is read out from the sensor - if they weren't anticipating the demand for multiple or specific frame rates they might not have worried about that at design time because it had little or no bearing on the camera's primary use for still photography.

Jim Froom September 1st, 2009 06:13 PM

I don't agree that the vast majority of users for this camera are photographers.

With all due respect, please show we another DSRL camera that didn't have HD video features and cost over $2500 that was sold out for 9 solid months. Nov-Sept here in the states. They are still hard to get.

I do not have any knowledge of the percentage of 5D mkII users whom bought this camera for HD purposes as their primary usage. However, my gut feeling is that there are as many video people using this camera as photographers.

My opinion is subjective. More a gut feeling. Does anyone have any objective information to shed light on this?

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 06:39 PM

Sorry Jim, but I'll have to disagree with you.

I don't think the photographer to videographer ratio is anywhere near 50% for the 5D Mk. II. I think it's closer to 20% video, and that's being generous. But, like you, it's just a gut feeling I have. I'm unaware of any firm statistics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Froom (Post 1299705)
please show we another DSRL camera that didn't have HD video features and cost over $2500 that was sold out for 9 solid months.

The first 5D. The original 5D. $3300 and impossible to get.