DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   New A/V jack == headphone monitoring? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/347027-new-v-jack-headphone-monitoring.html)

Tramm Hudson September 1st, 2009 03:33 AM

New A/V jack == headphone monitoring?

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/C...nnections2.jpg
Based on this photo from dpreview's "hands on", it looks like the A/V jack is gone. That means that there is no possibility of headphone monitoring other than sending audio to the HDMI device. I also didn't see any mention of audio level control in camera, which makes it sound like there is only AGC again.

So they heard the cries for the framerate options, but ignored all of the other problems?

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
See attached pic -- click to embiggen -- actually there *is* an A/V output jack.

It's their new combination USB & A/V output jack that's also found on the most recent PowerShots, such as the SD780 IS.

Tramm?

Tramm Hudson September 1st, 2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1297686)
See attached pic -- click to embiggen -- actually there *is* an A/V output jack.

Then perhaps there is still hope for live monitoring. Given the number of complaints about audio gain, audio monitoring and HDMI resolution, I'm very surprised that none of the "hands on" previews have verified these sorts of things.

Thanks for the correction.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 09:37 AM

The hands-on previews so far are coming from photographers, not videographers. A severe oversight in my opinion.

Mind if I change the thread title, Tramm? from "no A/V jack" to "new A/V jack?"

Bill Pryor September 1st, 2009 10:27 AM

I wonder if there's an adapter to go from standard 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to that connector?

Richard Hunter September 1st, 2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1298174)
I wonder if there's an adapter to go from standard 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to that connector?

I exoect there will be a cable supplied that has RCA phono plugs on the other end, for both video and audio.

Richard

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 06:53 PM

That's correct. It should be a straightforward matter to find the plug supplier and have some headphone cables made up... and then the rest is up to Tramm.

Bill Davis September 1st, 2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1298174)

Uh, perhaps you should rethink your use of the term "STANDARD" in this case.

Something isn't a "standard" if manufacturers are prone to changing it like it appears they did on the 7d.

I *thought* the 3mm stereo mini-plug - that tiny, bendable, flimsy abomination was going to be the WORST audio connector ever put in practical use.

But MINI-USB for audio output????? YIKES!

Oh well, we all know that PICTURE DENSITY IS KING in the new world production order and Audio is an ignorable afterthought.

Thus it has always been, thus it will ever be. Sigh.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 08:39 PM

Keep that roll of black gaff tape handy... yer gonna need it.

Bill Pryor September 1st, 2009 09:11 PM

B&H has dropped the price of the new Tascam DR-100 to $342.

Charles Papert September 1st, 2009 10:56 PM

Is it not unreasonable to imagine a 3rd party breakout box that manages the questionable connectors like Mini USB etc, providing an 1/8" headphone jack, XLR ins, volume pots, all that good stuff. Given that the form factor of the 7D (and 5D) is exquisitely awkward for motion shooting, and that it becomes much more stable when it is expanded into a shoulder mount configuration, there's plenty of real estate available for such a thing. It's a bit of a throwback to the old XL1 days, but then again I think we all know of a much more expensive camera that comes with mini connectors, including the ever-popular Mini BNC (!!!)

Meanwhile, the availability of inexpensive outboard recorders (thanks Bill for that info on the Tascam) makes double system recording virtually a no-brainer, except for those who need to shoot as a one-man band of course.

I've done a few shoots with the 5D and found it intriguing, but the more I read about the 7D, the more interested I become. I'd been thinking about replacing my venerable 10D and now realizing that my lenses will be right at home with this sucker, not to mention that 1080 24p thing, at this price point--wow.

Jeremy Naus September 2nd, 2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1300593)
..., but the more I read about the 7D, the more interested I become. I'd been thinking about replacing my venerable 10D and now realizing that my lenses will be right at home with this sucker, not to mention that 1080 24p thing, at this price point--wow.

I'm in exactly the same boat. My 10D is showing sign of aging so I was looking into buying a 5DMkII, but with this news I'm more than excited about getting the 7D. I'm sure it will also be great to use next to my XHA1 and HV30.

Bill Pryor September 2nd, 2009 08:52 AM

That's exactly my position. My 20D isn't looking so good these days with all the newer models having much higher resolution. I don't do enough still photography to justify the 5DMKII, but the stuff I shoot for publication seems to get cropped and blown up a lot these days, and more resolution would be nice. Then my next thought was that it would also be nice to have a backup video camera in case my XH A1 ever has a problem right before a shoot.

Pimping out this camera with all that Zacuto stuff would be cost prohibitive for my use. However, I think their LCD magnifying hood would be essential, since the viewfinder can't be used for video shooting. If you've ever tried to shoot in bright sun with one of those little consumercams that only has an LCD screen, then you know what I mean. You can get by with it on a consumercam because it has auto everything and you just point and shoot in most cases. But if you need to compose a shot, focus and set aperture, then that is extremely difficult out in the sun.

Speaking of setting aperture...does this thing have zebras? If not, that would slow my interest down a bit.

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2009 12:39 PM

No zebras built in, but Tramm Hudson's Magic Lantern firmware option for the 5D Mk. II offers them as well as on-screen audio level meters and a variety of other useful tools. I'm sure that Tramm (who started this thread, by the way) will be porting ML over to the 7D when he's in a position to do so. See Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki and related topics in our 5D Mk. II forum.

Bill Pryor September 2nd, 2009 01:16 PM

Thanks for the link!