The Canon 7D is Actually Closer to 35mm Film Size that the 5D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM   #16
Wrangler

Dan, thanks for correction, of course it is APS-C, not APC. I had one of the Canon Elph's when they first came out (the short-lived APS film format). Seemed pretty slick at the time for a pocket camera--how much has changed in 12 years!
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #17
Tourist

Image stabillization

Is the Image stabillization on the canon lenses any good when in video mode on the MarkII or 7d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
I can attest that the 17-55 f/2.8 IS is an outstanding lens. I have one for my 50D and look forward to using it on a 7D. It is L lens quality, very sharp, with image stabilization and it will focus quite close, nearly macro.
Steen Johannessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Trustee

I am working right now on a feature with the 5d Mark 2 and the 24-105 f4 IS almost exclusively and I can tell you that the IS system works perfectly well in video mode.
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Of course, the IS motor can be heard through the internal mic. The solution is to use an external mic. And that means using Magic Lantern Firmware (on the 5D2, but not the 7D, at this point) and a preamp, or an external recorder. The internal mic will pick up manual focusing noise as well.

6. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Conclusions on Vimeo
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:44 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
The problem with smaller chips like APC is in getting wide enough lenses. A 24mm lens on the 5DMKII is...a 35mm lens, just like on a film still camera. On an APC size it goes up by 1.6 and is a little longer than a 35mm lens.

I thought the APC size was very close to the 2/3" chip size or to 16mm size. I wish the chart had those laid out.

To get that shallow depth of field lots of people seem to want, you're going to have to track down some very fast lenses. None of the zooms open up past f2.8 at full wide angle and most stop down more at longer lengths.
But Bill, this should not even be an issue here as the Canon 7D has almost the exact sensor size as S35 and it has not been a problem at all to get shallow dof or wide lenses with S35 production for years.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Michael,

What you say is true - the sensor size is the same, problem is the lack of fast wide angle lenses on the 7D. There are plenty of fast wides for cine cameras. For now that makes Cine DOF look on a wide easier on a 5DmkII. For standards and tele lenses I think the 7D is well catered for.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #22
Contributor

That was my point. You need faster lenses. Maybe Canon will start making fast cine lenses. Or somebody will come out with adapters. Of course there are a number of fast Canon lenses out there, 1.8, 1.4, etc. Just not the zooms.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Maybe Canon will start making fast cine lenses.
They already do: Canon HD-EC FJs Prime Lens Series

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Yes, they do... but those are for 2/3" cameras. And the full 6 lens set will run over $100k... so I'm thinking those aren't really for the same market as the 7D.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM   #25
Contributor

Yeah, when I think "cine lenses" I think 35mm motion picture camera lenses. With the right mounts available, you could rent lenses when necessary if you're in a city with a cine equipment house.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD