This is why we are excited - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
who amongst us will be able to use these cine lenses with custom made mounts from panavision?
Well, me, for instance, as I detailed earlier in this thread. I also described why this has interesting ramifications for those of us who work with these lenses to begin with. OK, I'm certainly in the minority on this board, however I think that the point is not specifically about Panavision lenses but that 35mm cine lenses in general can now be used on a DSLR without cropping issues. For anyone who has a RED or 35mm adaptor and PL mount lenses, a demographic that is well-represented on this board, this should mean that with appropriate mount they can use their lenses on this camera as an adjunct to their primary camera body, if desired. What I haven't heard yet is if there will be any restrictions on certain lenses due to the placement of the mirror--we weren't able to use the Primo primes wider than 35mm on the 5DMKII, for instance.

The 11-1 (24-275) Primo zoom shown in the pictures is the standard workhorse and nearly every production I've been on carries one; for most shows where we "live" on the zooms, this will sit on the B camera while the A camera uses the 4-1 (17.5-75mm). Generally the 3-1 (135-420) is day-played as needed. It is indeed massive, its nickname is "the Hubble", but in the world of 35mm cine lenses, you needed a lot of optics to deliver the results that are expected. 420mm is actually not even that impressively telephoto; it's roughly equivalent to the long end of the XH-A1's built-in zoom!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #32
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
  • Little or no money.
  • Whatever spare time that can be found.
  • He has absolutely no Canon source code.
  • He has no documentation of the hardware or software.
  • He has to reverse engineer everything from scratch.
Don't forget:
  • I have only one camera
  • There was a very good possibility of bricking that one camera early on during development
  • I can't actually change any of the firmware in the camera, so everything that Canon's software is doing must be worked-around in mine
With all of these advantages, it is amazing that I'm not developing new firmware images even faster!

The area where we have had the most success with the Magic Lantern firmware is in the audio controls. Coincidentally, that is also where we had a full datasheet, which spelled out how everything worked and what to expect when we poked at the control registers. We may even be able to enable 48 KHz mode in the AK4646 (page 20 of the datasheet, register PM2), although there may be issues with how that integrates with the DIGIC4.

I'm working on a new technique that will allow me to forcibly relocate portions of Canon's firmware into RAM, fixup any %pc relative address references and then use self-modifying code to implement the functions that I want. If this works it will remove that last advantage from the list and allow us to start overriding significant portions of their code.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #33
Trustee

Ditto. That was some funny sh**! Between that and the "Hitler hates the 7D" thing that Phil posted, I've had a nice afternoon of laughs....

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #34
Contributor

I wonder if there'll be lens adapters so you could rent cine lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD