DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Any reason an indie film maker shouldn't buy it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/352758-any-reason-indie-film-maker-shouldnt-buy.html)

John Vincent September 2nd, 2009 02:31 PM

Any reason an indie film maker shouldn't buy it?

Like a lot of indie film makers, I've been following the HD DSLR revolution for the last couple of years with great interest.

Just finished my 4th feature, 6th EXTINCTION, shot on a JVC GY 100. Happy enough with the images the camera produced, which I'd compare to well shot 16mm film - as well as toughness and ease of use - but I'm looking to upgrade.

I know there remains the possibility that the Mark II will get 24p firmware (although with every passing day that looks more doubtful); that the RED Scarlet will be available in the next year for $3 grand (again, looking doubtful); or that a company will make a true video camera with all the goodies the 7D has -
Canon XL-H2 anyone?

All that said, at this point in time is there any technical reason for me not to jump on the bandwagon and buy the 7D?

Thanks for any insight guys -

john

Charles W. Hull September 2nd, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent (Post 1303398)
All that said, at this point in time is there any technical reason for me not to jump on the bandwagon and buy the 7D?

None other than the fact that they aren't available. I haven't seen any expected ship date yet.

Brian Drysdale September 2nd, 2009 03:03 PM

I suspect this will depend on your filming style and if the possible Jello effects will be an issue. If you're making the next Bourne film perhaps not, if you've a more static style perhaps.

Matt Newcomb September 2nd, 2009 03:30 PM

Ergonomics aside, if you're happy with the image quality you see then go for it. I too was waiting for Scarlet, but this looks like a good cam to get until that finally gets resolved. This camera should hold its value very well.

John Vincent September 2nd, 2009 03:43 PM

I'm a John Carpenter devote, meaning I likes me some smooth dolly/crane shots, or smooth stedi-cam shots... but I do a end up doing a lot of hand held however b/c of the run and gun nature of shooting on a shoestring budget.

How bad is the jello on the Mark II and should we expect the same effect on the 7D?

john

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1303403)
I haven't seen any expected ship date yet.

End of this month.

Thomas Richter September 2nd, 2009 04:06 PM

At least in the 60p mode it is technically impossible for the 7D to have as much jello effect as the 5D. The 5D takes somewhere between 1/30 to 1/45th of a second to scan the frame from top to bottom (data on this measurement upon request). In 60p mode the maximum time available for the rolling shutter scan would naturally be 1/60th. The shorter the scan time, the less the jello.

Bill Pryor September 2nd, 2009 07:53 PM

I don't think any of the hybridcams would be too good for run and gun type work.

Ben Syverson September 2nd, 2009 09:30 PM

Aliasing. My advice is to rent a 5D Mk II before you buy the 7D... If you can live with the aliasing artifacts (which haven't been fixed in the 7D), then go for it.

Charles Papert September 3rd, 2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent (Post 1303632)
I'm a John Carpenter devote, meaning I likes me some smooth dolly/crane shots, or smooth stedi-cam shots...

Hard for me not to comment on the fact that I spent today operating Steadicam, then dolly, then crane shots for none other than John Carpenter!

Dan Chung September 3rd, 2009 01:17 AM

Charles, you are da man! respect is due.

Dan

Bill Pryor September 3rd, 2009 09:20 AM

I second that. Love John Carpenter!!!

John Vincent September 3rd, 2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1305212)
Hard for me not to comment on the fact that I spent today operating Steadicam, then dolly, then crane shots for none other than John Carpenter!

I'm not worthy! Not worthy!

(jealously yours)

john

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2009 02:49 PM

Brushes with Greatnesses.

Dan Brockett September 3rd, 2009 04:51 PM

I interviewed John at his home a few years ago, he is an exceedingly gracious and interesting man. You are lucky to get to work with him.

Dan