CF Compact Flash cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin View Post
I just got a 32GB 133x Transcend cf card for my 5D2 and it shoots video just fine.

Taking a RAW photo while shooting a video clip, however, will force the video recording to stop.
I would be concerned that this card will choke on video as it gets full. If it's choking on a still shot during video it may not be emptying the buffer sufficiently.

edit : Don't buy sandisk on ebay. Actually, don't buy any memory on ebay. There's little margin in CF cards. Buy from known places.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
This concerns me.
I've had no problems, but its certainly not a fast card.
I'l see if the mydigitaldiscount card is the same series.

Edit: yep, it is. So much for buying another one of these. Back to Extreme III!
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #18
Trustee

Rob Galbraith has perhaps the most exhaustive speed testing of CF cards on the web. He just updated his CF/SD performance database with the 5dMarkII. Looks to be about the fastest camera on the market currently. Check out the link to see speed comparisons of various cards in this camera.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Major Player

CF card failure - worrisome

Hi all. I went shooting over the weekend with 3 x new 16GB 133x Transcend cards, each freshly formatted for the 5d mkII.

Upon returning to ingest footage, I discovered around a dozen files on one of the cards (about 20% of the shots taken on the card) contain errors, and either won't open at all, or open and freeze after a few seconds of playback. These corrupt files are fairly evenly spread between good files.

I tried to recover the files using Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery for mac, to no avail. It seems to me the card is a dud, as the camera performed flawlessly with the other cards.

I'd like to know if the Sandisk Extreme IV cards (for about five times the money) are going to prove more reliable, or in fact, what the most reliable cards might be shooting video on the 5d MkII.

I'm thinking maybe there's a good reason for the premium on SxS cards!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Trustee

I've been shooting with the 8gb extreme IV's on my hasselblad H3d and Canon 1ds mk III for the past year and a half. Not one problem. I've even put a couple of the 2 gb cards through the washer AND dryer (and all data was still intact after that)...any card that costs 1/5 of what the sandisk cards cost I would be highly suspicious of (unless working "most of the time" works for you.)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Major Player

I have used Sandisk exclusively in my Nikons for years and have not experienced a single problem. I was on a video shoot last week and talked to the still photog briefly about CF cards and he has also used only Sandisk with zero defects in his Nikons.

OTOH, I have 2 - Transcend 300x 16 gig CF cards for my video camera and have not had a problem at all, with either of them.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry for your trouble, Josh... I'm using HoodMan RAW cards, guaranteed zero failure.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

FWIW, I've been using SanDisk Extreme IV cards without problems.

We had an old 256M CF card that we used in the MicroTrack II, and it died within the first few uses just last week. I had a couple of other cheap cards die in my P&S.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #24
Major Player

Unfortunately, I have to report errors with my SanDisk Extreme iii and iv cards.
I shot a run-n-gun event and after putting them onto a Vegas 7 and/or Vegas Pro 8 timeline, there were clips with errors so significant, they'd lock Vegas (both version).
The errors showed up as red frames of some kind.
My eventual work-around was to use Gearshift and convert the MOV files to CineformHD files.
That turned the offending frames to black, but the file now played back.

This has been my only experience with editing footage from the 5DMii, so my experience level is weak at present.
My hopeful workflow will be to use HDLink to convert the files to Cineform and edit in either Vegas or PremierPro (CS3, presently).
Working with 720-30p files was amazingly smooth in Vegas 8. I got 29.97 playback consistently, even with some LIGHT CC work (either a Levels or Curves effect). Once the files were Cineform 720-30p, I was stylin' and couldn't be stopped. That was one of the most fun experiences I've had editing HD or HDV footage. I never knew 720p was soooo smooth. I always tried to edit HDV, which always gave me around 18FPS playback and less with CC.
For what I presently do, my new workflow is 720-30p.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Major Player

I have been using the Ritek Ridata Lightning 8GB card for a week now and haven't noticed any issues yet. I typically try and check all of the footage often though (good practice no matter what format you shoot). These cards are cheap too on DVD-R,DVD R Media,DVDR Blank Media,DVD R,DVD+R,Dual Layer,Double Layer,Printable DVD,DVD Case,Duplicator,USB Flash Memory,Ink Cartridges (I buy tons of stuff from here). I guess I will post later on down the line if I start having errors.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
Unfortunately, I have to report errors with my SanDisk Extreme iii and iv cards.
Ouch, last night I ordered a pair of 16gig Sandisks after reading the first couple of responses. I guess the potential for failure is just something to be mindful of, and when possible, to check for.

I originally bought the Transcends, not based on price, but on good feedback from others using them in video applications.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM   #27
Major Player

the only problems I've had is when I pull the card out to soon after shooting.... I think the camera still writes to the cards for a few seconds after shooting?
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #28
Major Player

I too have had problems with Transend cards to the point I will not use them for anything. I originally tried them to save a few dollars but they ended up costing me far more than they saved. I have had zero problems with SanDisk Extreme III 8gb cards.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
I think the camera still writes to the cards for a few seconds after shooting?
Yes. There's an indication when data is still being written to the card. It's described in the manual.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM   #30
Inner Circle

The only problem I have ever had with Transcend cards has been with fakes I inadvertently purchased via fleebay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD