CF Compact Flash cards - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #31
DVCreators.Net

While I was shooting some shots of me as the talent at 1am with no camera op - I came back to find that the recording stopped in the middle of the take. Talk about frustration. I thought I had nailed it and was calling it a wrap. So, yeah, my 32GB Transcend 133x just got the "unreliable stamp" put on it for shooting critical HD footage with the 5D Mark II.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I had some issues with a Lexar card on my old Nikon. About a half dozen of my JPGs would be corrupted with every shoot. I have been using Sandisks ever since with no issues. You get what you pay for. Sandisks are the Hondas of CF while it sounds like you bought an early 90's Hyundai.

;)
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Compact Flash- What to get.

I see some cheap Compact Flash available out there, like Kingston 133 at 8 G for $20. I search our threads here, and haven't seen much comment on problems with particular media. Have I missed somewhere ?
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #34
Major Player

Chris, I have some sub $20 16GB "blue noname" cards from the bay, that are suposedly 133X speed and for film making those are fine. I tested all three and one of those has actually about 250x write time so I assume those are the leftower chips from QA...
... you can not take pictures (well, sometimes you can and sometimes not) with those lame cards when recording video but for one task at a time they are fine as long as you can write to it faster than 5mbps.

As I understand the faster speeds are desired for shooting video and constantly interrupting it with picture taking - I assume you don't want to do that anyhow.

OT: It's good to see all 35mm "adaptor" (that's actually a typo) oldtimers here on the 5D MKII forum :)...

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #35
Regular Crew

The guys over at Convergent Designs are recomending the Transend 32GB X133 for their tapeless recorders..... good price ($84).. I'm using two of them without issue...

Transcend 32GB 133X - 300X UDMA Enabled Compact Flash Card Transcend 32GB 133X - 300X UDMA Enabled Compact Flash Card Detail Page

Here's the thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...-us-100-a.html
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post

OT: It's good to see all 35mm "adaptor" (that's actually a typo) oldtimers here on the 5D MKII forum :)...

T
Yeap, we keep looking for that perfect combination... we're getting closer !!!
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #37
Major Player

I'm using a mix:

Lexar 8GB 300X UDMA (bought some for $200, later $100)
Lexar 8GB 133X (recent free after rebate deal)
Transcend 32 GB 133X ($80).

I've heard of some people having trouble with their Transcend 133X, but mine has been good to me so far. Lexar and SanDisk are well regarded for reliability.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #38
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I see some cheap Compact Flash available out there, like Kingston 133 at 8 G for $20. I search our threads here, and haven't seen much comment on problems with particular media. Have I missed somewhere ?
If you have a Fry's nearby you can get the 32GB 133x Kingston for $29. It works with video on the 5D2. The buffer meter will occasionally show it being 1/4 full during video taking but never reaches full.
http://shop4.frys.com/product/566925...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Mike Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #39
Major Player

I have been using the Ritek Lightning cards and haven't had any issues YET... I'm using the 8gig cards. I believe they are 233x UDMA for $25 or so at supermediastore.com
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
The guys over at Convergent Designs are recomending the Transend 32GB X133 for their tapeless recorders..... good price ($84).. I'm using two of them without issue...

Transcend 32GB 133X - 300X UDMA Enabled Compact Flash Card Transcend 32GB 133X - 300X UDMA Enabled Compact Flash Card Detail Page

Here's the thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...-us-100-a.html

Interesting, I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and while I haven't examined every frame of the footage I have shot with it, it seems to work fine. I ran several clips right up to the 4GB limit with no issues.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Toy View Post
If you have a Fry's nearby you can get the 32GB 133x Kingston for $29. It works with video on the 5D2. The buffer meter will occasionally show it being 1/4 full during video taking but never reaches full.
FRYS.com*|*KINGSTON
the link you pasted goes to a 16GB card for that price. Was it a typo or is there really a 32GB card for $30 somewhere? Still, it's not a bad price for 16GB.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #42
Regular Crew

CF Speed

What's your recommended compact flash speed for 5D? For faster .mov file transfer, does card reader brand matters?
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #43
Obstreperous Rex

For HD video recording, you'll want a CF card rated for UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access). I use HoodMan RAW cards; they're UDMA 300x and guaranteed zero-failure. For card readers, a FireWire 800 CF reader will transfer card contents about twice as fast as a USB2 reader (2 gigabytes per minute compared to 1 gigabyte per minute).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I bought 2 very inexpensive 8gb 133 Kingston CF Cards for $ 29.00 apiece at Frys here locally. It captures without drop. I occasionally see the write indicator show up with one bar of 3 or4 highlighted. Have not experience any drops.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I bought 2 very inexpensive 8gb 133 Kingston CF Cards for $ 29.00 apiece at Frys here locally. It captures without drop. I occasionally see the write indicator show up with one bar of 3 or4 highlighted. Have not experience any drops.
Same here, but if you try to interrupt the video by grabbing a still photo (which is supposed to cause a 1 second gap, then continue video recording) it might not work.

I had to switch to the Kingston 266x card in order to get that to work (16GB cards).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD