CF Compact Flash cards - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Check it out here.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ash-cards.html
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #122
Contributor

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme III 30MBs cards with no issues at all. They've dropped in price at Adorama, around $70 for 16 gigs. Be careful, though, because there are Extreme III cards that are not UDMA. If it says 30MBs on the front, it's UDMA. I also bought a Transcend 133x when I needed more and couldn't find the Sandisk and have had no problems with it either. Some of the cards, like the Sandisk and Transcend are UDMA but don't say it on the cards. If you go to their websites you can find out what is and what is not.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #123
Regular Crew

Great help.

Anyone know what UDMA stands for?
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #124
Trustee

I second the 30mb/s Sandisk Extreme III's; works really well and really fast with my 7D. There are Sandisk rebates available when you buy from an official dealer of Sandisk, like BH or Adorama. So they can end up being awfully cheap, the more you buy. I think they're a great balance between price and speed. BH is out of a lot of the sizes of the IIIs but Adorama is still selling them, making room for the IVs, I imagine.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Does anyone have an opinion on these?
Transcend 16 GB from NewEgg for $56 Newegg.com - Transcend 16GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS16GCF133 - Flash Memory

or

RiData for $46 Newegg.com - RiDATA Lightning Series 16GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model RDCF16G-233X-LIG - Flash Memory
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #126
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Wright View Post
Great help.

Anyone know what UDMA stands for?
Ultra Direct Memory Access
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #127
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Threads now merged.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #128
Regular Crew

I will ask again....

Does anyone have an opinion on these?
Transcend 16 GB from NewEgg for $56 Newegg.com - Transcend 16GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS16GCF133 - Flash Memory

or

RiData for $46 Newegg.com - RiDATA Lightning Series 16GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model RDCF16G-233X-LIG - Flash Memory
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #129
Major Player

RE the Kingston 32GB Elite Pro - recording has stopped due to the buffer filling up quite a few times now.. I think i will be buying something faster and keeping it as an emergency backup..
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #130
Major Player

Manus,

Wow, I use the Kingstons all the time and never had a problem in video. In still mode if you're in 8FPS RAW there might be a backup, but never in video, even while shooting continuously.

Under what circumstances did these buffer full problems occur? Is it possible your Kingston is fragmenented and needs to be reformatted so the files get written contiguously?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #131
Major Player

Hi Keith..

Its happened at both 50 and 25fps.. one of the cases was shooting out the window of a moving car at 50fps which i can understand could be a little heavy for processing but other times were reasonably static at 25fps..

Ive been in touch with Kingston but wasnt really impressed with their offer of replacement.. (sending back to uk at my expense and having to wait for a new one to be sent)..

Ive only been using it for a short time and only with the 7d so i dont know if reformatting will do anything to help but i can try..

Cheers,
Manus
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #132
Tourist

A-Data Speedy CF 533?

Anybody tried this A-Data 533 CF?
A-DATA Technology

It is UDMA, etc. I bought 32Gb one yesterday, but did not open it since it was the last one and I just wanted to have it if it is any good. But no reviews so far.
Sergei Mutovkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #133
Major Player

if it's udma, it should work fine

sandisk doesn't list UDMA because common standards don't benefit their marketing. Some older Extreme III are not UDMA. The newer extreme III with 30mb/s text are UDMA.
But all other cards should list UDMA if they are UDMA.

"Good" for video recording means never hits buffer. It's not like still photography where the range of speed matters. Faster cards may write to the computer faster. So in an intense workflow faster cards may matter. But not for recording.

UDMA apparently matters as it allows the card and camera communicate better. Specifically I believe it allows the card to talk to the camera during a write. UDMA cards are not necessarily faster in a huge write. Just better coordination.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #134
Regular Crew

UDMA Level?

Does anyone know what UDMA level the canon uses? I've seen cards listed as UDMA level 4, level 5 and level 6.. Some of the cheaper cards are only Level 0 to 4 and I'm wondering if these are good enough..
Brian Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #135
Major Player

The 7D accepts up to UDMA 6

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD