7d use a canon xl1s video lens? Canon 16x IS II Video Zoom Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7d use a canon xl1s video lens? Canon 16x IS II Video Zoom Lens

Hello everyone. I am very excited with the new 7d, but unfortunately i don't own any ef lenses. I have an canon xl1s and moved from that to a canon hfs100 (great hd camera that competes with 5k hd cams amazingly). Anyways can the canon IS II lens (Amazon.com: Canon 16x IS II Video Zoom Lens for XL1, XL1S, and XL2 Camcorders: Camera & Photo) that came with the xl1s go on the 7d or any other eos dslr. Its a shame because the lens is a very expensive lens (the xl1 body is a very low res sd cam that is aging though). I really hope the lens can fit on the body because the 7d is really something amazing for the price. It would be also great because the lens has a motorized zoom solving the zooming during video problem that occurred with the 5d mark II and other video dslrs.
Mayer Chalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, Mayer, it's just not possible. The XL series lenses create an image circle that is too small for the 7D to use. If there were a way to mount these lenses (and there isn't), what you would see in the viewfinder would be a mostly black screen with a small circular image in the middle... totally unusable. Besides, those lenses do not resolve for HD. So it's not an option at all, unfortunately.

The 7D will be offered as a kit with the EF 28-135mm IS lens for only $200 or so more than the body alone. It's a very good lens for a non-L series lens. I've had photographs published in a coffee table book using this lens. It's a very good choice to bundle with the 7D kit which is much less expensive than buying the 7D body and that lens separately. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks an excitement short lived

Yeah thats what i thought because i once but on a nikon dx lens (basically the nikon version of the ef-s lenses) on a very old nikon f 35mm film slr body from the 80's and there was vignetting. Thanks i guess my xl1 is just a hunk of junk now lol.
Mayer Chalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well there's always Ebay. Take what you can get for it!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well..

The return for the xl1s isn't that great, its good for a back up and i always bring it to a shoot to make me look professional lol but i always shoot with the hfs100 now. Its kind of sad that consumers think just because the camera is super huge it is professional (i'm not saying that a flip mino hd has very good results lol it sucks) but in the case of an hv30 or hfs100 they can almost match an xh a1 in image quality. In fact they beat an fx1 clearly. Some big cams even suck in low light worse than the hv30/hfs100 such as the hvr hd1000u (a single cmos sensor 1/2.9).
Mayer Chalom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD