Cheap gear for 7D at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Cheap gear for 7D

Hello,

I have been a studio owner/professional portrait photographer for 18 years. I do mostly seniors and have always been fascinated with the idea of video/movies.

I plan to purchase the 7D when it comes out mainly for still stuff but I am so excited about the possibility of HD video.

I own a Sennheiser UHF Lavalier Wireless System with lapel mic and one hot light with 20" softbox that must be plugged in.

I just want to have some fun shooting short little projects: personal stuff and maybe a promo or two for my photography studio.

I am all Mac but only have iMovie. I would consider getting Final Cut express if several of you suggest it, but I see no need for the full thing at the level I am at, maybe later though.

So... what I am wondering is what else do you think is a must have and where is the cheapest place to get it or make it myself. Particularly, do I need matte box, certain mic, fast CF cards or other stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS - I have pretty much been a lurker because I wanted to try to glean some scraps before speaking up much. Thanks for all the great sharing that goes on here. I am impressed with this community and the talent in it.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
You can probably do all you want with iMovie. However, neither iMovie nor Final Cut Express will accept 24p, so be sure to shoot aat 30 frames per second.

The Sennheiser wireless is good. My understanding of the 7D so far is that you really need a box like the Beachtek or Juicedlink to give you decent audio control. Also, the camera will only have auto gain on audio, so until the Magic Lantern most excellent shareware is adapted to the 7D, audio will not be a wonderful thing.

I think it's best to just use iMovie, or if you think you might get into more serious stuff, spend the $200 on FCE. It looks just like Final Cut Pro, so if you learn to edit on that you could move on to FCP if you ever wanted to. For personal type things and even promos for your studio, I see no need for going beyond iMovie unless you have money lying around you don't need. People have made good movies with iMovie.

A matte box is not a requirement. I wouldn't buy too many accessories until you get accustomed to the camera and see what you need. If you use filters, you can use screw on ones. I switched to 4X4 filters for my Canon XH A1 and bought a Lee bellows type matte box. It has a threaded adapter and is so lightweight you can screw it on the lens with no need for rails. It holds two 4x4 filters.

The softbox light is nice. You might want some more lights for backlight and fill. But again, try working with what you've got before buying things you may or may not use. Just my opinion. One thing you will need is a decent fluid head tripod. I use a Libec 38 for my XH A1 and it would be suitable for the 7D as well.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
I would invest in a Zoom H4n to record audio, as it takes both mini and XLR inputs. If the camera has an option to lock audio gain, I'd recommend a Juicedlink instead, but the H4n's probably your best bet.

Whatever SD card you use, it needs to be "Class 6" or better.

I'm not thrilled with iMovie, but I'm a PC guy. Vegas Studio would be a no brainer if you had a PC workflow, as it can take 24p and allow you to sync up seperately recorded audio tracks.
__________________
Equip: Panny GH1, Canon HG20, Juicedlink, AT897, Sennh. EW/GW100, Zoom H2, Vegas 8.1
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
When Magic Lantern is available for the 7D, I've read that it will lock out the auto gain. However, I'm also looking at the idea of shooting double system sound with this camera with either the Zoom H4N or the Tascam DR-100.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
You can probably do all you want with iMovie. However, neither iMovie nor Final Cut Express will accept 24p, so be sure to shoot aat 30 frames per second.

The Sennheiser wireless is good. My understanding of the 7D so far is that you really need a box like the Beachtek or Juicedlink to give you decent audio control. Also, the camera will only have auto gain on audio, so until the Magic Lantern most excellent shareware is adapted to the 7D, audio will not be a wonderful thing.

I think it's best to just use iMovie, or if you think you might get into more serious stuff, spend the $200 on FCE. It looks just like Final Cut Pro, so if you learn to edit on that you could move on to FCP if you ever wanted to. For personal type things and even promos for your studio, I see no need for going beyond iMovie unless you have money lying around you don't need. People have made good movies with iMovie.

A matte box is not a requirement. I wouldn't buy too many accessories until you get accustomed to the camera and see what you need. If you use filters, you can use screw on ones. I switched to 4X4 filters for my Canon XH A1 and bought a Lee bellows type matte box. It has a threaded adapter and is so lightweight you can screw it on the lens with no need for rails. It holds two 4x4 filters.

The softbox light is nice. You might want some more lights for backlight and fill. But again, try working with what you've got before buying things you may or may not use. Just my opinion. One thing you will need is a decent fluid head tripod. I use a Libec 38 for my XH A1 and it would be suitable for the 7D as well.

Great reply, thanks. I have a good fluid head - monfrantto. But...

What does the Beachtek or Juicedlink box doe exactly for the Audio? And what will happen with out such a device?

Thanks again.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I would invest in a Zoom H4n to record audio, as it takes both mini and XLR inputs. If the camera has an option to lock audio gain, I'd recommend a Juicedlink instead, but the H4n's probably your best bet.

Whatever SD card you use, it needs to be "Class 6" or better.

I'm not thrilled with iMovie, but I'm a PC guy. Vegas Studio would be a no brainer if you had a PC workflow, as it can take 24p and allow you to sync up seperately recorded audio tracks.

Great help. I have several CF cards and have never seen a Class # only speed #.

What is a Zoom H4n? A boom mic maybe?
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
When Magic Lantern is available for the 7D, I've read that it will lock out the auto gain. However, I'm also looking at the idea of shooting double system sound with this camera with either the Zoom H4N or the Tascam DR-100.
What is double system sound?

thanks
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Is this a good one? at $189 I think #211

Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save

Is $189 a good price?


And is does this do the same thing? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_4_Track.html

If so, what is it and how does it work? When I separate my audio how do I get it synced back with my video?


Where is info on Magic Lantern?

Thanks a bunch.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #9
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
Oops double post.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
Shawn, double system sound is shooting the sound on a separate system, as we used to do in film (and still do for those shooting film). For syncing it is good if you use a clapboard at the head and tail of each take. But if you're by yourself, that's difficult to do. What you can do is use the camera's mic to record reference audio. Then load that footage with its audio onto a video and audio channel, plus the audio from your recorder onto two additional audio tracks, then slide the recorder's tracks in your timeline back and forth until the echo goes away. A bit cumbersome and increases your editing time.

Beachtek makes a nice XLR to mini box designed specifically for the 5DMKII for under $400. I'd like to hear from some people with that camera who are using this. Life is easier for me if I can shoot single system sound Here it is:
Beachtek | DXA-5D DUAL XLR ADPTR f/EOS 5D MII/48V | DXA-5D | B&H

That Zoom H4N gets good reviews, and B&H has lowered the price of the new Tascam DR-100 which also gets good reviews
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Shawn, double system sound is shooting the sound on a separate system, as we used to do in film (and still do for those shooting film). For syncing it is good if you use a clapboard at the head and tail of each take. But if you're by yourself, that's difficult to do. What you can do is use the camera's mic to record reference audio. Then load that footage with its audio onto a video and audio channel, plus the audio from your recorder onto two additional audio tracks, then slide the recorder's tracks in your timeline back and forth until the echo goes away. A bit cumbersome and increases your editing time.

Beachtek makes a nice XLR to mini box designed specifically for the 5DMKII for under $400. I'd like to hear from some people with that camera who are using this. Life is easier for me if I can shoot single system sound Here it is:
Beachtek | DXA-5D DUAL XLR ADPTR f/EOS 5D MII/48V | DXA-5D | B&H

That Zoom H4N gets good reviews, and B&H has lowered the price of the new Tascam DR-100 which also gets good reviews

Great info Bill.

So what exactly holds or records the audio track? I assume the zoom h4n is for that and the other device with knobs is the control. Right?

Big help here! :)
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #12
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
If you record double system sound, all you need is the Zoom.

The Beachtek or Juicedlink is what you need if you want to record audio into the camera's chip. Supposedly the Beachtek will stop the camera's auto gain control from working (auto gain is not useable for good audio recording because it raises the gain during silence and puts hiss on the track, so it must be disabled). The Magic Lantern shareware will also do that, from what I've read, but the person who develops that won't have it ready until some time after the camera becomes available to him. You would need that software also if you want to get serious with the camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you record double system sound, all you need is the Zoom.

The Beachtek or Juicedlink is what you need if you want to record audio into the camera's chip. Supposedly the Beachtek will stop the camera's auto gain control from working (auto gain is not useable for good audio recording because it raises the gain during silence and puts hiss on the track, so it must be disabled). The Magic Lantern shareware will also do that, from what I've read, but the person who develops that won't have it ready until some time after the camera becomes available to him. You would need that software also if you want to get serious with the camera.
Man, you have been a big help. I feel like I am really learning.

Okay - so I have searched the net for this software and can not find it. Where is the Magic Lantern link?
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
It's all over this board. Look in the 5D section. Won't be available yet for the 7D.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 212
So I was hoping this thread might have more links to stuff like shoulder mounts and such that are at least less than the cost of the camera itself.
__________________
Talenos Productions at http://www.talenos.com
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network