Tripod Recommendations? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Reagan View Post
I think I've pretty much settled on the budget (but excellent) SLIK 700DX tripod.

Now I have to determine which head I'm going to mount on it. I'll likely end up getting the 501HDV for video, and a separate Manfratto head for photography.

Given my setup and gear, any suggestions for a suitable photography ball head to use with the SLIK 700DX? Thanks!
Sorry Jeff, there isn't one for video. The SLIK 700DX tripod might be a reasonable still photo tripod, but it is not suitable for video. For stills, the 486RC2 is good. A still shooter can put up with a bit of wobble or shake in a tripod because you are taking a still. All that wobble and shake is frozen. With video, every movement is seen. Besides, you will want a ball head to level the camera for video.

Buy still tripods for what they are intended to be used for. Buy video tripods and video heads for what they are intended for. A video head is usable for stills, but a ball head is better for still work.

I am a still photographer and a video producer too. I like to save money as well as the next person but there is no way to cheap out for video.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD