7d vs 5dmkII article - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks Phil,

Regards
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #17
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Paranoia and conspiracy grip DVInfo.
Do you realize that the Illuminati are preventing the 5D from being upgraded to 24p? I heard that black helicopters retrieved the camera with 24p firmware that was being demoed on the set of Snakes on a Train, and that the DP using one on another set died mysteriously due to too much jello. I can't tell you who my source is for this, but he is high placed in the CIA. Perhaps I've already said too much.
Quote:
As I said, I am comparing the two cameras out of the box only! Surely that makes sense?
If folks were planning on filming handheld with just the kit lens and onboard audio, sure. But most filming projects are not with such simple setups -- mics and a preamp, rails with a mattebox, filters and follow focus, and firmware are all additions to the camera that film makers will add on.

Your review is a great comparison of the two bodies as they come from Canon. Perhaps a separate "so you want to make a movie with a DSLR" comparison might be a worthwhile article.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Cinema Lenses?

How did you get that Cinema Lense (pl mount?) onto the 7D? What kind of converter mount did you use?
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Do you realize that the Illuminati are preventing the 5D from being upgraded to 24p? I heard that black helicopters retrieved the camera with 24p firmware that was being demoed on the set of Snakes on a Train, and that the DP using one on another set died mysteriously due to too much jello. I can't tell you who my source is for this, but he is high placed in the CIA. Perhaps I've already said too much.

If folks were planning on filming handheld with just the kit lens and onboard audio, sure. But most filming projects are not with such simple setups -- mics and a preamp, rails with a mattebox, filters and follow focus, and firmware are all additions to the camera that film makers will add on.

Your review is a great comparison of the two bodies as they come from Canon. Perhaps a separate "so you want to make a movie with a DSLR" comparison might be a worthwhile article.
Hey, the guy is doing all of this reviewing/blogging for free as far as I know so give him a little slack. Don't run people like Phil off by badgering them.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Phil

I still think that Canon is playing with us with this odd combination of features between the two models. Using the 7D as a base mark, we should simply be able to get the same features + full frame at the 5D's higher price point.

I just wish they'd get it straight so that we can move on and buy their gear without that nagging feeling that we should be waiting for what's around the corner.

my 2 cents worth
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima View Post
I just wish they'd get it straight so that we can move on and buy their gear without that nagging feeling that we should be waiting for what's around the corner.
These are consumer electronics, and by that very nature they are designed to keep the consumer waiting and wanting what's just around the corner. It's not a conspiracy, it's business.

-Ethan Cooper
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Hey, the guy is doing all of this reviewing/blogging for free as far as I know so give him a little slack. Don't run people like Phil off by badgering them.
He's joking Ethan! But thanks anyway. I am doing it for free. Mug that I am!

If you want to know how to shoot with the 5d or 7d then i might...ahem... have a couple of DVDs that may interest you!

Tramm. Have Canon even been in touch with you?!
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #23
Contributor

I'll probably be in the market for one of those DVDs in the near future.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
He's joking Ethan! But thanks anyway. I am doing it for free. Mug that I am!

If you want to know how to shoot with the 5d or 7d then i might...ahem... have a couple of DVDs that may interest you!

Tramm. Have Canon even been in touch with you?!
Joking? What is this joking of which you speak?

Time to go take a break, clearly I've been working too hard lately and have forgotten what humor is.

-Ethan Cooper
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
i can't mention Magic Lantern as it is not officially supported no matter how cool it is.
That said, is yours an official review then? ;)

5D movie mode without ML firmware is not the same tool.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
That said, is yours an official review then? ;)

5D movie mode without ML firmware is not the same tool.
Hi Mathieu,

Are you THE Mathieu Kassovitz?

My article should be retitled "The Official Philip Bloom side by side out of the box review of the 7d vd 5dmkII, un-pimped up, which cameras works best for video in my humble opinion which may or may not matter to you anyway" :)

Magic Lantern firmware is great!! But as I have said it's not "out of the box" and I am not using it on paid jobs myself. I am comparing my experiences of the two, not the experience of others.

This is, like everything I and others write, purely a personal opinion. Am sure hundreds would disagree! Millions even!!

Personally I love them both, hence I will be keeping my 5ds and am eagerly awaiting my production 7d.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Philip. How do you feel focusing on your 35 L 1.4?
Thinking about 28/35 as a "normal", I realized focus ring throw will be much shorter than the one on my 50 (what I'm used to have now as "normal").
I would buy maybe an economic 28 1.8, but I'm worried of the plastic thin ring (and that, such short distance scale from 2 mt to infinite..)

Thanks (also for continuing the Monty Python tradition. Laughing a lot with your videos from you're visit to Nab to the recent british invasion)

Last edited by Alvise Tedesco; September 27th, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Alvise Tedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #28
Trustee

am fine with focusing with it! great lens!
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #29
Trustee

I have a new opinion. Check the link at the top for an updated blog!!
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Phil:

As I posted on your blog, Cineforms NeoScence conforms footage and sound to 29.97. I assume that holds true for their ProRes conversion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD