DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D and 5DmkII audio PAD cable used for 'Another night in Beijing' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/441593-7d-5dmkii-audio-pad-cable-used-another-night-beijing.html)

Dan Chung September 26th, 2009 08:39 AM

7D and 5DmkII audio PAD cable used for 'Another night in Beijing'

Pinknoise systems 5DmkII and 7D audio cable DSLR News Shooter Quick post and pix of the Pinknoise systems audio cable for 5DmkII and 7D. Not a regular 3.5mm jack cable.

Dan

Bill Pryor September 26th, 2009 11:57 AM

Dan, thanks for that info.
I see that you and most others seem to be using the Zoom H4N recorder. Do you know anything about the Tascam DR-100?

Dan Chung September 26th, 2009 08:07 PM

Bill,

I asked the same question about the Tascam on twitter a few weeks back, got no replies. I'm really interested in this little recorder but can't find any serious user reviews or indeed a stockist.

I have both the Zoom h4n and the Sony PCM-D50 but I have found neither does everything and the Tascam is beginning to look like the best option.

Dan

Jaser Stockert September 26th, 2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1402802)
Bill,

I have both the Zoom h4n and the Sony PCM-D50 but I have found neither does everything and the Tascam is beginning to look like the best option.

Dan

Dan,

curious what the Tascam does that the H4N doesn't? thanks.

Ted Ramasola September 27th, 2009 12:57 AM

Jaser,

Compared to the zoom h4n, the tascam has four built-in microphones, two cardioid and two omnidirectional.

The zoom only has 2.

I just got these info from the spec sheets. I'm still waiting for the zoom to arrive from B&H.

Ted

Bill Pryor September 27th, 2009 04:28 PM

I'm more interested in the XLR inputs on both recorders than their mics. The Tascam seems a little beefier and has nicer controls, but other than that there are only minor differences. Both have the 1/4" socket on the bottom and can be mounted on the hot shoe with an adapter. The Tascam is just a little heavier, which is not great but I don't think it's all that much weight.

One nice thing about the H4N, I've read, is that if you use 1/4" inputs (it has those convertible XLR sockets that also take 1/4"), it automatically goes to a line level in. Nice if you want to tap into house audi at an event or something like that. Probably not a big deal for use with this camera since it's not exactly suitable for event shooting. The Tascam is only $30 more at B&H, so I think I'm going to try it.

One more good thing about the Zoom is that you can record 4 channels, and supposedly you can record two channels from the built-in mics while recording two channels via the XLRs. I'm not sure how I'd use that, but it's there. I don't know if the Tascam will let you do one channel via the mics and the other via XLR.

Ryan Koo September 27th, 2009 06:55 PM

DP'd a couple episodes of a show last weekend, the audio recorder was the DR-100. Not the editor, so I don't have the files, but the recorded tracks sounded good... One issue: the rotating jog wheel (the silver ring on the front) kept falling off, the audio guy had to keep clicking it back in place.

Wish I knew more as I just bought a Sony PCM-D50...

Sean Seah October 5th, 2009 09:44 AM

Dan, would like to know what levels do you recommend setting with the -25db PAD cable? I tried the MKE400 recently and I want to compare it with the Zoom H4n. Having a direct interface would be awesome for me. Thanks.

Don Miller October 5th, 2009 12:52 PM

Do any of these little recorders have a good analog limiter? I would pay for being able to worry less about setting levels too high.

Edit: I'll answer my own question The DR-100 has an analog limiter, the H4n has a digital limiter. A digital limiter is of "limited" value.

On paper the DR-100 is impressive. The manual is available at tascam.com

Don Miller October 5th, 2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1427977)
Dan, would like to know what levels do you recommend setting with the -25db PAD cable? I tried the MKE400 recently and I want to compare it with the Zoom H4n. Having a direct interface would be awesome for me. Thanks.

I don't understand your question, but in direct comparison the Rode Videomic is clearly superior to the MKE400. If you already own the MKE400 - nevermind :)

Don Miller October 5th, 2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1406369)
............................... The Tascam is only $30 more at B&H, so I think I'm going to try it.

One more good thing about the Zoom is that you can record 4 channels, and supposedly you can record two channels from the built-in mics while recording two channels via the XLRs. I'm not sure how I'd use that, but it's there. I don't know if the Tascam will let you do one channel via the mics and the other via XLR.

I noticed the price drop too.

Reading the documentation I haven't figured out the 4 channels either. I imagine the DR-100 has similar functionality to the H4n. I would like the capability to use an external preamp and record stereo at two different levels.