7D and 5DmkII audio PAD cable used for 'Another night in Beijing' at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

7D and 5DmkII audio PAD cable used for 'Another night in Beijing'

Pinknoise systems 5DmkII and 7D audio cable DSLR News Shooter Quick post and pix of the Pinknoise systems audio cable for 5DmkII and 7D. Not a regular 3.5mm jack cable.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Contributor

Dan, thanks for that info.
I see that you and most others seem to be using the Zoom H4N recorder. Do you know anything about the Tascam DR-100?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

I asked the same question about the Tascam on twitter a few weeks back, got no replies. I'm really interested in this little recorder but can't find any serious user reviews or indeed a stockist.

I have both the Zoom h4n and the Sony PCM-D50 but I have found neither does everything and the Tascam is beginning to look like the best option.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Bill,

I have both the Zoom h4n and the Sony PCM-D50 but I have found neither does everything and the Tascam is beginning to look like the best option.

Dan
Dan,

curious what the Tascam does that the H4N doesn't? thanks.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Jaser,

Compared to the zoom h4n, the tascam has four built-in microphones, two cardioid and two omnidirectional.

The zoom only has 2.

I just got these info from the spec sheets. I'm still waiting for the zoom to arrive from B&H.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Contributor

I'm more interested in the XLR inputs on both recorders than their mics. The Tascam seems a little beefier and has nicer controls, but other than that there are only minor differences. Both have the 1/4" socket on the bottom and can be mounted on the hot shoe with an adapter. The Tascam is just a little heavier, which is not great but I don't think it's all that much weight.

One nice thing about the H4N, I've read, is that if you use 1/4" inputs (it has those convertible XLR sockets that also take 1/4"), it automatically goes to a line level in. Nice if you want to tap into house audi at an event or something like that. Probably not a big deal for use with this camera since it's not exactly suitable for event shooting. The Tascam is only $30 more at B&H, so I think I'm going to try it.

One more good thing about the Zoom is that you can record 4 channels, and supposedly you can record two channels from the built-in mics while recording two channels via the XLRs. I'm not sure how I'd use that, but it's there. I don't know if the Tascam will let you do one channel via the mics and the other via XLR.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

DP'd a couple episodes of a show last weekend, the audio recorder was the DR-100. Not the editor, so I don't have the files, but the recorded tracks sounded good... One issue: the rotating jog wheel (the silver ring on the front) kept falling off, the audio guy had to keep clicking it back in place.

Wish I knew more as I just bought a Sony PCM-D50...
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Dan, would like to know what levels do you recommend setting with the -25db PAD cable? I tried the MKE400 recently and I want to compare it with the Zoom H4n. Having a direct interface would be awesome for me. Thanks.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Do any of these little recorders have a good analog limiter? I would pay for being able to worry less about setting levels too high.

Edit: I'll answer my own question The DR-100 has an analog limiter, the H4n has a digital limiter. A digital limiter is of "limited" value.

On paper the DR-100 is impressive. The manual is available at tascam.com

Last edited by Don Miller; October 5th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Dan, would like to know what levels do you recommend setting with the -25db PAD cable? I tried the MKE400 recently and I want to compare it with the Zoom H4n. Having a direct interface would be awesome for me. Thanks.
I don't understand your question, but in direct comparison the Rode Videomic is clearly superior to the MKE400. If you already own the MKE400 - nevermind :)
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
............................... The Tascam is only $30 more at B&H, so I think I'm going to try it.

One more good thing about the Zoom is that you can record 4 channels, and supposedly you can record two channels from the built-in mics while recording two channels via the XLRs. I'm not sure how I'd use that, but it's there. I don't know if the Tascam will let you do one channel via the mics and the other via XLR.
I noticed the price drop too.

Reading the documentation I haven't figured out the 4 channels either. I imagine the DR-100 has similar functionality to the H4n. I would like the capability to use an external preamp and record stereo at two different levels.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD