TV Cameraman Matt Jasper unboxes and rigs up 7D for news use - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
I agree that this kind of rig for news would be silly, but for non time or situational critical shoots such as TVC's and documentaries, this would be awesome. As a TV camerman with an extensive ENG background, I have been shying away from the DSLR's, because I still shoot hand-held a lot, but a rig like this would solve a lot of issues I had with the format.
Very silly.

And pointless.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Very silly.

And pointless.
Well, the OP uses it for news and gets paid to do it. So I don't get the silly and pointless.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Does he really use it for news, or was it just something he set up for fun or personal use. I guess it wasn't that clear from the video.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm actually looking at this one from Zacuto. I need rapid changeover from Sachtler to handheld for my commercials and corporates.
Attached Thumbnails
TV Cameraman Matt Jasper unboxes and rigs up 7D for news use-marksman1.jpg   TV Cameraman Matt Jasper unboxes and rigs up 7D for news use-marksman32.jpg  

Peter Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #20
Contributor

Pricey but good. I've seen Zacuto's equipment in person and it's excellent.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #21
Trustee

I think what Dan is doing is pioneering. Yes it isn't ideal and personally I would rather shoot straight news with an ENG lens any day but that's because I come from that background of 15 years in the news business. Dan comes from the stills side into video and comes at it from a very different view point. A bold, brave almost visionary one. Would I do it? No. I couldn't imagine the pain in the arse it would be, it's enough of a pain in the arse on slow paced commercials and even on documentaries but with deadlines? NUTS!! But I know it can be done as Dan is proving day in, day out.

I am continually impressed by what he does. His extra experience with 35mm stills cameras has made using a rig like this second nature whereas all us video guys have a steep learning curve.

The more these two markets convergence, the less that learning curve will become.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
You're right of course, but you'd be surprised how much of the news biz is still on tape. The 7D workflow with 25p or 60p is going to make life a hell of a lot easier. Even with a transcode the 7D workflow is faster than P2 or XDCAM disk, no mean feat.

Dan
With Avid MC 3.5 and above XDCAM HD discs and P2 cards are available instantly to edit natively using AMA. How is transcoding 7D files faster?

http://www.avid.com/ama/index.asp?cmpid=AV-PR-26

Last edited by Bob Willis; September 29th, 2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: addition of link
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Wonderful Work, Almost too sad to watch.

The Afghan video was great cinematic quality. Too painful to watch the whole thing for me, I have a brother who suffered greatly in Vietnam, and it just seems these situations where the little guy gets stuck in the middle are so tragic. There they are, right there explaining to you how you're ruining your image with them.

Technically I think the super-low light capability of these cams is a huge advantage-- the guys sneaking through the night and the interior shots which look completely well-lit even though probably not that bright-- I'm guessing they look a lot better than or would be impossible with 2/3 cams?
Alain Lumina is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD