Lens and audio setup for iPhone video work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens and audio setup for iPhone video work

I am primarily a computer programmer, but have stumbled into a business creating and selling instructional videos for the iPhone (which has a resolution of 480x320). This work has led to more video work, mostly packaged for web delivery. I am mostly filming mixed martial arts instructionals, but have recently been contracted to do a behind the scenes documentary for a medium sized mixed martial arts promotion.

I don't know much about video, but have muddled my through filming and production and have come up with workable setup that includes a Canon HF S100, Rode NTG-2 mic and a JuicedLink box.

I would like to upgrade my setup and it seems like the 7D is a good way to go, but was hoping to get some advice on the setup.

I really have no idea what lenses I would need even after combing and blogs extensively, however any of the Canon lenses I've seen discussed on this forum are in my price range. I would like to end up with 1-3 good lenses. The instructional videos are in a very controlled environment but usually involve fast motion (punches, throws, etc). I'll be doing some interviewing work and also filming some fights for the documentary.

It seems like many people are ending up with a Zoom H4N for audio. If I were to use a recorder, I would prefer to use the built-in mics. Would that be a better option than the Rode NTG-2 and the JuicedLink I currently have? I've been reviewing recorders and the Sony PCM-D50 seems to be considered a better recorder in audio only circles. Is there a reason why the Zoom is more popular?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have a lot of fast movement the 7D might not be for you because of the rolling shutter. Do you have any other delivery method besides iPhone video? I'd shoot SD if you are only going to the iPhone since HD will have its own overhead.
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I second Matt's advice. If you are shooting martial arts for distribution via iPhone, I would recommend a SD camera capable of overcrank.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great. The overcrank sounds perfect. What do you think about the EX1? I don't care for the proprietary memory cards...
Dan Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Don't think of a replacement camera, think of an additional camera.

You've got an adequate setup with an HFs100 and your shotgun mic. I'd use that as a lockdown camera and audio source. Then just use the 7D as a cutaway camera to shoot tight stuff, with the built-in audio so you can synch in post. The only advantages to the 7d is shallow depth-of-field and low-light ability, in every other aspect, it is inferior to your HFs100.

You'll probably find it very difficult to follow action and keep it in focus with a 7d. You'll have to pre-focus on a mark and have the action come to it.

And you'll have to transcode the footage from both cameras into the same codec to use in a multi-clip edit.

I think I'd get a second HFs100 if you really want to improve your videos.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I love the EX1, though I don't get to use it much - the other shooters in the shop usually snag it, leaving me as the de facto 5D shooter (we have three of those and only one EX1). It's a great video camera; one of the best in its form factor, I think.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD