more lens questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #1
Trustee

more lens questions

I'm considering getting the 7d, but like many others,all my lenses are nikon. A guy offered me the following 3 canon lenses. Are they ok for the 7d?

1-Canon Lens FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C.
1-Canon Lens FD 24mm f/2.8 S.S.C.
1-Canon Lens FL 85mm F 1.8

thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Trustee

The FD lenses would need an adapter, so you might as well just get a Nikkor to EOS adapter so that you can use all your Nikon lenses in MF on the Canon body.
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Trustee

The FD lenses need an optic adapter to be used on an EF mount.
Not a good choice.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Whar about the 85mm fl lens?
bruce yarock
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

FL mount lenses also require the FD adapter.

FL mount lenses (from the mid-1960's) are forward-compatible with the FD mount which replaced it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Seems like you don't want to touch them....even if you can find one of the optical adapters, it's not perfect: Canon's adapter couldn't be used on wide and normal lenses and "Other inexpensive aftermarket FD to EOS adapters are available and can be used at the cost of greatly reduced image quality, particularly at large apertures"

Wapedia - Wiki: Canon FD lens mount
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Major Player

use your Nikon lenses.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Don,
it looks like I'll start with the Nikons. i also have a tokina 24-70 f2.8 (for niikon) that i'll try.
Thanks
bruce yarock
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #9
Trustee

The Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8 is a very good lens, not quite on par with the Nikkor version, but very close (plus you'll only be using the 'sweet' centre portion anyway - don't forget that all your full-frame lenses will not be so wide on the 7D).
I'm sure you'll find it will produce great footage and stills on the 7D.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Trustee

Rony,
I assume that none of my af nikon lenses with af will work in af shooting pics in the 7d, correct?
In addition to my primes, I have a 17-55 f2,8 , 70-200 vr f 2.8, 85mm f1.4, tokina 12-24 f4 and a 50mm f1.8. With the adapter, will autofocus work with any of these lenses (for pictures)?
Another question- Will I be able to even use these lenses (with adapter) for video on the 7d?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Trustee

No, they will only work as MF not AF on 7D.

Using AF for any lenses, even the original EOS ones, will not work well when in video mode. Far better to stick to MF for most of your video work with the 7D.

There is an adapter that provides in-focus signals etc for the Nikkor lenses on the EOS bodies, but to be honest I think you are better to concentrate on working in manual for most video with the 7D because the AF is extremely slow when active.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #12
Trustee

tony,
Thanks. But will they work in manul in video mode ( the af lenses i mentioned). Currently i can't us the 17-55 or the 70-200 on my Letus extreme. If would be great if I could use them mf in the video mode on the 7d:)))
bruce yarock
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #13
Trustee

"G" lenses will not work correctly due to no manual aperture on the lens.

I'm hoping that the new Nikon D3s (due out very soon) will be better than the 7D for working with my Nikkors without the need of adapters. I'm also hoping that the D3s will provide 25p and 50 options for Pal users. The new D3s (and D700s) will provide electronic aperture connections for the "G" range of Nikkors,
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #14
Major Player

There is a $250 G lens adapter, but aperture control is not precise. I find it's worth the hassle for the 14-24, but I wouldn't bother with other G lenses. A Tokina standard zoom for Canon is what, $500? That would be my choice on a budget.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I'm hoping that the new Nikon D3s (due out very soon) will be better than the 7D for working with my Nikkors without the need of adapters...............
I'm sure Nikon is surprised at the reaction to Canon video. Even Nikon photogs shooting for the web have picked up the 5DII. Certainly Nikon can argue that their 720p video is good enough for most uses. But the market has expressed its opinion.
Undoubtedly Nikon is trying hard to produce superb video, but they are at a disadvantage in this area. I still expect they will come out with something nice later next year. I also expect Canon to better the 7D with 1D video. Although Canon is far from perfect when making design choices from a leadership position.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD