DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   more lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/448514-more-lens-questions.html)

Bruce S. Yarock September 28th, 2009 04:48 AM

more lens questions

I'm considering getting the 7d, but like many others,all my lenses are nikon. A guy offered me the following 3 canon lenses. Are they ok for the 7d?

1-Canon Lens FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C.
1-Canon Lens FD 24mm f/2.8 S.S.C.
1-Canon Lens FL 85mm F 1.8

thanks
Bruce yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick September 28th, 2009 05:33 AM

The FD lenses would need an adapter, so you might as well just get a Nikkor to EOS adapter so that you can use all your Nikon lenses in MF on the Canon body.

David W. Jones September 28th, 2009 05:45 AM

The FD lenses need an optic adapter to be used on an EF mount.
Not a good choice.

Bruce S. Yarock September 28th, 2009 07:47 AM

Whar about the 85mm fl lens?
bruce yarock

Chris Hurd September 28th, 2009 11:57 AM

FL mount lenses also require the FD adapter.

FL mount lenses (from the mid-1960's) are forward-compatible with the FD mount which replaced it.

Michael Murie September 28th, 2009 12:46 PM

Seems like you don't want to touch them....even if you can find one of the optical adapters, it's not perfect: Canon's adapter couldn't be used on wide and normal lenses and "Other inexpensive aftermarket FD to EOS adapters are available and can be used at the cost of greatly reduced image quality, particularly at large apertures"

Wapedia - Wiki: Canon FD lens mount

Don Miller September 28th, 2009 03:08 PM

use your Nikon lenses.

Bruce S. Yarock September 28th, 2009 08:23 PM

Don,
it looks like I'll start with the Nikons. i also have a tokina 24-70 f2.8 (for niikon) that i'll try.
Thanks
bruce yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick September 29th, 2009 05:08 AM

The Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8 is a very good lens, not quite on par with the Nikkor version, but very close (plus you'll only be using the 'sweet' centre portion anyway - don't forget that all your full-frame lenses will not be so wide on the 7D).
I'm sure you'll find it will produce great footage and stills on the 7D.

Bruce S. Yarock September 29th, 2009 05:16 AM

Rony,
I assume that none of my af nikon lenses with af will work in af shooting pics in the 7d, correct?
In addition to my primes, I have a 17-55 f2,8 , 70-200 vr f 2.8, 85mm f1.4, tokina 12-24 f4 and a 50mm f1.8. With the adapter, will autofocus work with any of these lenses (for pictures)?
Another question- Will I be able to even use these lenses (with adapter) for video on the 7d?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick September 29th, 2009 05:34 AM

No, they will only work as MF not AF on 7D.

Using AF for any lenses, even the original EOS ones, will not work well when in video mode. Far better to stick to MF for most of your video work with the 7D.

There is an adapter that provides in-focus signals etc for the Nikkor lenses on the EOS bodies, but to be honest I think you are better to concentrate on working in manual for most video with the 7D because the AF is extremely slow when active.

Bruce S. Yarock September 29th, 2009 05:38 AM

tony,
Thanks. But will they work in manul in video mode ( the af lenses i mentioned). Currently i can't us the 17-55 or the 70-200 on my Letus extreme. If would be great if I could use them mf in the video mode on the 7d:)))
bruce yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick September 29th, 2009 05:43 AM

"G" lenses will not work correctly due to no manual aperture on the lens.

I'm hoping that the new Nikon D3s (due out very soon) will be better than the 7D for working with my Nikkors without the need of adapters. I'm also hoping that the D3s will provide 25p and 50 options for Pal users. The new D3s (and D700s) will provide electronic aperture connections for the "G" range of Nikkors,

Don Miller September 29th, 2009 06:19 AM

There is a $250 G lens adapter, but aperture control is not precise. I find it's worth the hassle for the 14-24, but I wouldn't bother with other G lenses. A Tokina standard zoom for Canon is what, $500? That would be my choice on a budget.

Don Miller September 29th, 2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1412818)
I'm hoping that the new Nikon D3s (due out very soon) will be better than the 7D for working with my Nikkors without the need of adapters...............

I'm sure Nikon is surprised at the reaction to Canon video. Even Nikon photogs shooting for the web have picked up the 5DII. Certainly Nikon can argue that their 720p video is good enough for most uses. But the market has expressed its opinion.
Undoubtedly Nikon is trying hard to produce superb video, but they are at a disadvantage in this area. I still expect they will come out with something nice later next year. I also expect Canon to better the 7D with 1D video. Although Canon is far from perfect when making design choices from a leadership position.