7D or 5D Imminent Purchase - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The difference in image quality between the 5D and the 7D would be the least of my concerns. Native 25p vs. full-frame field of view is the main comparison for me.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Salinas View Post
I got a new advice from another sailing photographer:Both cameras are great and suitable for professional use.

5D for press-conferences, parties, architectures, landscapes (due to the bigger sensor it should have better low light capabilities and sharper image quality)
7D for sailing, action (8fps) Nevertheless I've seen some low light samples with the 7D and I've to say they look very decent!

The problem is that everything belongs to my working list. But I can only buy one.

Any of them will do the job, I'm sure. Maybe... should I throw the dice?
Javier, yes, either will do the job. I'm the one who said the 5D2 would be better for magazines and big prints. I said this so you won't have the impression that the 7D is an equivalent still camera to the 5D2; it isn't - but it obviously is a very good camera.

A couple of other things to consider for still photography. Most still photographers are very dependent on Photoshop or Lightyear. For some reason Adobe did a poor job when they developed the RAW converter for the 50D (predecessor to the 7D); both color and noise are issues with that converter. Because of that I use the Canon DPP software to work with 50D files, which does a much better job but is a pain to use. I'm hopeful that Adobe will put the A team on the 7D RAW converter project. (And their 5D2 RAW converter is excellent.)

The other point is that the focusing system for the 7D has been substantially improved and this would definately be the camera to use for sailing photography because of that.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD