DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 7D + Lens Combo thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/456540-canon-7d-lens-combo-thread.html)

Jason McDonald September 30th, 2009 05:41 AM

Canon 7D + Lens Combo thread

For those of you with a Canon 7D, could you post some nice test footage using the lenses you have in order to help those of us starting out which lenses do well with 7D (Helping us to make our purchases).

I will be sure to do the same when I get my 7D (Planning on: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm, Sigma 30mm f1.4)

(Direct from camera, no color grading and if you could let us know what aperture you are using would be awesome). I hope this thread turns into a reference for others to look at and comment on.

Matthew Longbottom September 30th, 2009 06:56 AM

Cleaning the Cat

Oh dear. Here goes........ First post here so be gentle. It's also my first video. Been "lurking" for a while. Just starting to get interested in photography and video as a hobby. Don't have much time so looking to learn from other people.

Picked the 7D up late Friday. Had "commitments" Saturday, so first chance I had to do anything with it was Sunday. Decided that I'd just experiment and film until the 8gb card was full.

This is the video direct from the camera - arranged in Premiere. Obviously the first shot has a "bullet" on it - but the rest is as is.

Used only 1 lens - the EF 85mm 1.8 - even though I do have the EFS 10 - 22 and the EF24 - 105 f4 L IS USM. Hopefully will get round to using the others soon.

I have no other gear, so focusing was done (badly) manually on the camera.
I don't have a Zacuto viewfinder - but from first experience Sunday, I would say that is a more important consideration than "what lens". Pointless having "L" lens if the damn thing is always out of focus.

I also made the classic newbie mistake of trying to do everything manually - so most of it was on 1.8 aperture. Sorry.

Here you go - have a good laugh. Constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Cleaning the Cat! on Vimeo

Jason McDonald September 30th, 2009 08:11 AM

Matthew,

I think you did a great job.

Mark Hendren September 30th, 2009 08:33 AM

Nice Job

Matthew,

I think you did a great job with this piece. As an ex-newsie, I have to say great sequencing and solid shots. It was a fun piece to watch. I did something similar with my daughter right after I got my Sony Z5.

I just hate that I'm in the wrong Birmingham to come take a spin in that sweet ride. Looks like it would be a blast.

Great Work! Look forward to seeing more!

Mark

Andrew Maclaurin September 30th, 2009 08:40 AM

nice cat!
great 1st video. super images

Richard Gooderick October 1st, 2009 01:25 AM

Wow. Straight out of the box with a new camera - that's a really good job you did.

Scott Brickert October 1st, 2009 08:10 PM

I liked it. Make another one. . . ."Driving The Cat" ?

James Dierx October 2nd, 2009 08:11 AM

Let's see it in action! Nice vid.

Tony Davies-Patrick October 2nd, 2009 08:24 AM

Great work on the "Cleaning the Cat" video, Matthew! I had to laugh at the 'clicking on the seatbelts and testing out the wipers' bit at the end :)

A superb job if this is only your first effort with a new camera.

Like James & Scott mentioned, let's now see the 'cat' in action driving round the country lanes (with an adult driving of course!).

Jason McDonald October 3rd, 2009 08:16 AM

7D - First test video on Vimeo
(I just uploaded it so give it 30 minutes from the time of this post)
50mm 1.8 (Set at 1.8)
Auto WB
30p (I didn't know it was in 30p mode, it was literally the first footage I took and never checked that particular setting)
ISO 100

Jason McDonald October 5th, 2009 10:37 AM

7D - Second video

50mm 1.8 (Set at 1.8)
Auto WB
24p
ISO 100