Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #91
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
I wonder if this does turn into a problem Canon might do an early firmware upgrade with hopes of Magic Lantern getting ported by dear Tramm.
Me, too. Through trial and error, I've determined the 7D's product ID (0x80000250) and can get it to try to load a firmware image, but the loader is doing some additional checks on the firmware file and is rejecting my dumping tools. Perhaps they have made a minor change in the file format or there is a field in the header that I am not setting correctly (and that is ignored by the 5D).

So now I am considering other avenues to get a firmware dump. The USB port is one such approach; I've been doing quite a bit of analysis on it (and can add new commands to the PTP interface on the 5D). There is a way to send a new firmware image over the USB port and that may be a way to get a read of raw memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures-7d_box.jpg  
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Any news or thoughts on 7D heating up.

Just wondering how people are viewing the heat issues as they have had more time to test and work with the 7D for a few days. Is it going to be a matter of using the camera and working around it heating up? Will the 5D be a better choice if you need a workhorse camera?

I am waiting for word from my Canon dealer. They are working to get me a replacement camera. The warning icon seems to come up on mine sooner than others so I will certainly try another to see if there is a difference.

I am a Sony video user for years so I am not sure what to expect from Canon in response any problems. Just curious how others who plan to use the 7D primarily for video are looking forward.

Thanks,
Dasher

http://dasherfilms.com/
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #93
Regular Crew

5D - 1 processor, 7D - 2 processors - more heat, similar body. Comparing the battery life between the 2 cameras should be a reliable indicator of the amount of heat generated by each.
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #94
Major Player

Charles,

I have been an EX1 user since they first came out and was drooling over the 7D, but this heat issue has but my dreams on hold. I shoot in some very hot and humid environments, in fact I had an EX1 burn up on a shoot in Thailand. Right now I can't see myself trusting either the 5D or 7D to hold up to my style of shooting. I am pretty bummed about this because I had visions of carrying an SLR around and getting some pretty awesome footage and not looking like I work for a network.

Hopefully they can work the heat issues out.

Daniel Weber
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Well I just tested my camera and I have the issue as well, takes mine about 40 mins to get the light 76deg ambient at 1280x720 60p. This does not bode well, Canon seems to have skimped on the heatsink. Or this task just really taxes the processor badly. Not sure why they would overlook that the magnesuim body should be able to augment cooling like a big heatsink itself.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #96
Contributor

It seems that most people have the problem when shooting 720p/60. In my case I would only do slomo for maybe a minute or two at the outside. If shooting 1080P/24 is not a problem, then maybe I can live with that.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #97
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrinn Chellton View Post
Or this task just really taxes the processor badly.
Processors. There are two of them in this camera. That could be part of the reason for the overheating issue.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Do you think its also a problem when camera is on for a long time without recording = for test framing, lighting the sceen, test takes and so far? I think with monitor on hdmi / display off and filming 1080 25p it should be no problem?

Daniel
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Bill in my limited experience with the 7D I have it will show the overheat icon in both 720P/60 and 1080P/30. 720P seems to bring it on more quickly.

My plan is to get an IKAN 5.6 HDMI monitor as part of my 7D rig and I am hoping this will help alleviate some heat by turning the built in LCD off.

I am also facing the reality that I may have to limit the usage of the 7D for certain types of filming that I do. When shooting a surf contest for 6 hours straight with an EX1, I shoot every wave I can because you never know what will happen. After each shot I decide wether or not to keep or trash on the spot. In this scenario my camera is running long hot hours and from what I can tell currently the 7D will not handle this work flow.

I was also considering replacing my HV30 and water housing for a new 7D housing but this could be quite problematic with heat build up inside a water proof mini oven.

I am not very familiar with Canon as a company so I am waiting to see how they address this situation. When I adopted early on the EX1 Sony took measures to replace and fix units that had problems (back focus, body paint coming off, battery drain) so despite some anxiety early on the EX1 has been a solid tool to work with and I am hoping the same for the 7D.

I have waited a couple of years for a camera like the 7D and I willing to work around some issues. It just does not look like I will head out on a trip without the EX1 in tow for the time being.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #100
Contributor

If just being turned on with the LCD running and the camera then heats up when you start shooting, is that really a processor issue? Maybe it's poorly designed for heat dissipation. I can see how intensive use at 60 fps might cause excessive heat, but not just being on and then shooting normally.

I was all ready to buy before this issue came up. I guess I may wait to see how they respond. It could be that a hybrid camera is really not suitable for normal video production. I don't do lots of long takes, but I often do shoots where the camera is on all day, much as you mentioned, so I can get a quick shot when it happens.

What I really need to see is for somebody to turn on the camera, let it sit there for half an hour, then pick up and shoot some 1080P/24 or /30 video with it, off and on, some 4 gig clips, some short, etc., ie., normal shooting for most people, and see how long it takes for the heat thing to happen. All video cameras can get hot, but if you can't leave one turned on and grab it for some ordinary shooting, what good is it?

Has anybody heard any response at all from Canon?
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #101
Major Player

I don't think we will hear from them since they warn us about it in the manual, I just didn't think that it would overheat so quick, I did read that in the manual before I bought it but man this overheating is too quick, my workflow is switch liveview off in between shoot and have not get anymore overheat warning but this shoot was a test shoot at a reception and it is in an A/C environment, I also couldn't test anymore because I had to send it back to exchange due to a giant dead pixel even at ISO640.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #102
Contributor

If you have the live view off, how long does it take for the camera to get ready to shoot video when you turn it back on?
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #103
Inner Circle

If it like the 5D, about 2-3 seconds
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #104
Major Player

How many minutes of video per battery on the 7D? I get about 45 on my 5DII.

I'm inclined to believe the heat sensor is set lower on the 7D after reading reports from owners of both cameras. I think most people will do O.K. if they leave they auto off a 1 minute. Charles' type of surf shooting is one example where these cameras may not be appropriate.

Charles you might look to rent a 7D and test. I see 5D rentals at many places.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you have the live view off, how long does it take for the camera to get ready to shoot video when you turn it back on?
2 seconds at most. With an external monitor it will somewhat depend on how fast it can get synced. Touching any button turns it back on. It's possible to get in the habit of hitting a button as soon as you know you will be shooting again.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD