Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you have the live view off, how long does it take for the camera to get ready to shoot video when you turn it back on?
If the camera has not automatic turn off then I think just 1 second or so, if it has auto shut off then probably 3 seconds or so.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #107
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you have the live view off, how long does it take for the camera to get ready to shoot video when you turn it back on?
Bill, the 5d Live View turns off very quickly ( I don't have it in front of me - but probably around 20 seconds) if you're not using it, and comes up real quick (less than a second) when you need it. The camera does go to sleep fairly quickly as well when not in use, but again wakes up very quickly. I can't see why they would change this on the 7d as it works very well - and would help to keep the camera cooler. The 5d manual does say that if you use Live View for long periods - the camera will heat up. While they say it's not a malfunction, they do warn that it may burn the skin.

Again this is the 5d, but I've been following this thread because i was looking at a 7d as well. And I read earlier in this thread about some 5d's getting cooked on film sets. My initial thought was that the 7d warning tolerance was set lower (in over 3 months use - I've never seen the warning on the 5d) I've shot 2 wedding in 90 degree F for a full day - (intermittent shooting).
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #108
Contributor

That's faster than cueing up a tape in a regular video camera that's been on long enough for the tape to unthread.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #109
Regular Crew

We used our 5Ds in the desert heat several times during August with no problems (I've never seen the overheat warning). But we weren't shooting continuously by any means. I'd say that the ambient temperature has less to do with the overheating phenomenon than, say, the operating duty cycle.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #110
Inner Circle

On the 5D, you can adjust auto shut down time. Camera is set up with auto shut down at one minute, for Live View to shut down. But you can actually set it to go longer, ie., various levels from up to 1 hour, I think.... and even shutting down the feature completely to leave it on full time.

I shot this weekend and found the 1 minute delay to short, when you are setting up a scence and I advanced it to 30 minutes. But to save battery, I should probably have used 3 minutes, because I found myself leaving it on occasionally, while not really needing to. As a result battery ran down a lot faster. Luckily most shooting was indoors with power available and I used the Canon AC power input, which is absolutely great.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #111
Inner Circle

It seems this camera would be good for features, not ENG. I'm wondering if you carry a couple of cans of compressed air to use as portable AC, if that would help? You know, the type used to clear off keyboards and lenses and inside of a PC.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #112
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney View Post
It seems this camera would be good for features, not ENG. I'm wondering if you carry a couple of cans of compressed air to use as portable AC, if that would help? You know, the type used to clear off keyboards and lenses and inside of a PC.
I've heard it said that the 7d bodies aren't noticeably warm when the warning shows up - whereas I have felt the heat (more warmth really) through the 5d body but never gotten a warning - but my longest take has been 4 minutes. So I don't know where you'd spray the compressed air.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #113
Trustee

Any chance that Canon has simply set the warning at too low of a temperature?
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #114
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
I've heard it said that the 7d bodies aren't noticeably warm when the warning shows up
They're warm but not at all what I would call overly warm. Not hot in other words.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Does Canon post?

Chris

I have seen representatives from other companies post on dvinfo. Are you aware if Canon follows the info here and do they ever post info?

I have not heard any info back from the local dealer I purchased my 7D from.

Thanks
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #116
Obstreperous Rex

The only Canon rep I'm aware of that does this is Chuck Westfall.

Canon USA knows that they have a standing invitation to post here, but my understanding is
that their corporate policy pretty much forbids it. The door is always open at DV Info Net though.

I know for a fact that Canon USA and Canon Inc. both closely monitor DV Info Net regularly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #117
Major Player

In 70 degree A/C, shot 84 minutes 1080 24p back to back without any heat icon. Would have gone longer but battery died. Good enough for me :).
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Can someone do a little heat-test to see what is the problem:

1. Day = Continous Rec. 1080 25p with Battery and Display on
2. Day = Continous Rec. 1080 25p with Battery and Display off
3. Day = Continous Rec. 1080 25p with AC Power and Display off
4. Day = no Rec. with Battery and Display on
5. Day = no Rec. with Battery and Display off
6. Day = no Rec. with AC Power and Display off

If you wan't to make more tests per day please let cool the camera down long enough between the tests.

thanks
Daniel
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #119
Major Player

Red has indicated how they're cooling their upcoming cameras.

Sealed sensor/electronics package with two pipes exiting to a vented area with a fan. I assume they are circulating a liquid to a radiator. I believe they said that the fan is easy to remove to clean or replace. They're claiming substantial weather sealing on all main components.

Canon likely has the tech to continue to produce more efficient cameras than Red. But it seems that Canon will likely need at least an external metallic surface to radiate heat. I don't know where that would go in the 5D/7D form factor.

In the 1D form factor it might be easier to figure out cooling. Future cameras need to be able to achieve a steady state internal temp and an external temperature that can''t potentially burn the user.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #120
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Future cameras need to be able to achieve a steady state internal temp and an external temperature that can''t potentially burn the user.
Either that, or DSLR's doing video will remain an impressive trick, and they'll migrate what they have learned from the 5D/7D to make a better video camera.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD