Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures

I just picked up my new 7D this morning. After fiddling around with the camera inside with the air conditioning on for an hour or so I ventured outside. Pretty mild temperature (80) and overcast skies were the weather conditions. About an hour into my walk about I started getting a red flashing icon on the screen. Generally not a good sign. On my way back home I was switching to still mode and then back to video without any more flashing icon.

In the manual on page 159 there is a side bar box describing internal temperature increase. I am assuming this is the icon I saw flashing on the screen. If this is the case and normal operating procedure then I am concerned about the practicality of the 7d for my work flow.

If any one has any info on this or similar occurrences with a 7D or 5D for that matter can you please let me know.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Major Player

A good tip I got was to drape a small white towel over it if it is in direct sunlight. This should help a bit to reflect sunlight and reduce heat.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
If any one has any info on this or similar occurrences with a 7D or 5D for that matter can you please let me know.
I've seen that only once on the 5D2. I had the camera on a tripod late on a hot day with the sun shining directly at the LCD. I turned it off for a couple minutes or so, kept it out of the direct sun, and haven't seen the warning since.

Best of luck with your 7D!
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses. I shoot an EX1 outside and always shade it from direct sunligth. But today was really overcast and in the shade of trees most of the time. I will test further but these were really mild conditions.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Warning came on after 30 minutes in air co.

Just did another test with my 7D. Set up inside recording continuously for about 30 minutes and there was the flashing red thermometer icon.

Any suggestions or ideas.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I know it's a super bummer but that sounds like a defective 7D to me.

(PS. Hey man! See you went the 7D Route! ;) I might be doing the same!)
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd call Canon customer service. They might want to take a close look at what went wrong.

My guess is that a heatsink didn't get mounted properly.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Temp. warning in owner's manual: couldn't copy text from the PDF... so here's a grab (click to see it big):
Attached Thumbnails
Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures-7dtempwarning.png  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
The 5D has a single DIGIC processor while the 7D has two of them.

I wonder if that's the heart of the issue.

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Major Player

Hopefully this isn't a sign of how little temperture tolerance the 7d has to extended recording times (compared to the 5d). :(
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

What's normal workflow 5D and 7D

Before I go back to my dealer can someone out there confirm that they have been able to shoot with the 7D continuously for around 30 minutes with out any temperature issues. Also what about having the camera on in movie mode and shooting off and on for a couple of hours.
Just trying to get a handle on what 'shoot movies for a prolonged period' actually means.

Also 5D users. Has anyone had similar experiences? Can you use the camera in movie mode for extended periods of shooting without turning it off? Can you operate the 5D for hours at a time without issues?

Just trying to figure out if this unit is malfunctioning or if overheating may be inherent to 7Ds in general.

I debated and waited a long time to get this camera versus an 35mm adapter for the EX1. I love the idea of using this camera in conjunction with my EX1 and also being able to take stills but I can not see the point is I need to turn it off every 20 minutes or so to cool down.

Last edited by Charles Dasher; October 1st, 2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: add title
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

3/4 hours continous. No problems on the 5D. Pretty hot, 25°/30° (80-90 fahreneit?)
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvise Tedesco View Post
3/4 hours continous. No problems on the 5D. Pretty hot, 25°/30° (80-90 fahreneit?)
I've done similar sort of shoots on the 5D, up to nearly 40 C in the summer. The only time I've had the temperature warning come on was during a shot with the camera on the dash of an automobile in the sun.

Magic Lantern will display a readout of the internal temperature sensor, but I don't know what the units are. I forgot to check the reading when the warning came on; I was so worried that I rushed the camera into an air conditioned building to cool it off.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Tramm, do you think the dual processors in the 7D would make it more susceptible to overheating than the 5D Mk. II?

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I just put a call into the shop where I purchased the camera and they are putting in a call to the Canon Rep.

I did another test this morning with the 7D after it had a good night s rest in the air-conditioning. I shot a time lapse of the 7D aimed at a clock with my EX1 and the results were about 30 minutes before the dreaded 'red thermometer' began flashing.

I am hoping this is just a faulty unit because otherwise I have been extremely impressed with my initial time with the 7D
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD