Beechtek for 7d audio?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Trustee

Beechtek for 7d audio??

According to beechtek, this unit disables the 7d auto gain, in addition to showing levels, providing phantom power and phone plug.
Anyone know anything about this?
bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Beachtek | DXA-5D Dual XLR Adapter for DSLR Video | DXA-5D | B&H
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can hear how well it works in my video reviews. Note that each (except the last) includes a link to an uncompressed wave file that you can download for your own comparisons.

Here's the first one. It includes links to the others...
1. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Boom Mic (juicedLink, Zoom H4n, Microtrack II, BeachTek) on Vimeo
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Trustee

Jon,
Great tests. thanks for the info.
Does the jlink have a headphone jack, or dio you have to use the camera's jack?
I haven't used the 5D, but am planning to get the 7d. From reading different posts, it sounds like there are audio syncing issues when using an off camera recorder. is that true?
I sometimes record audio to my edirol r-09, in addition to camera, and have never had syncing issues in post. Are these problems unique to these dslr's.
Thanks again.
Bruce Yarock
yarockvideo.com ( New site under construction)
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

On the 5D with ML, I use the monitor jack on the camera. It's a great way to go, since you hear exactly what it being recorded. Of course, this isn't an option on the 7D - yet.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Jin,
For a quick set up with decent controllable audio, it looks like the juicedlink is the way to go. Do you agree? I looked at my edirol r-09 and realize that there's no line out, so I would have to bring the wav in to the nle after if I use the edirol.
I'd want to be able to do what I do with my regular cameras- shot gun on one side and wireless (or whatever) on the other. I guess the jl would be easyest in that situation.
If I needed to get fancy, I could run mics into my sounddecices 302, then to the jl.Or...
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Of course, the JL isn't totally viable on the 7D, until we get Magic Lantern ported. You can hook up an iPod with a constant tone, but then you lose a channel, and it's a kludge.

The JL is nice in that it bolts under the camera easily. It's a bit springy for 200mm and longer/heavier lenses, but works great on a shoulder rig with wide/normal glass. Also, you can monitor from the camera, so you're 100% sure of getting the recording. With a separate recorder, there's always the risk of pushing REC on one device and ARM/PAUSE/STOP on the other. (I've done it countless times with the Microtrack II. Somehow, it's not very intuitive and the display is dim.)

I wish the H4n were the size of the Microtrack. That would make it more practical for a clean, light rig. The Microtrack is small, but the preamps stink and it has no mounting facilities at all.

The only practical problem with the JL is that the low-battery light is hard to see in sunlight. The knobs and switches could be larger for use with gloves. But overall, recording into the camera and not having to sync is very nice for a one-person operation.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Contributor

But until Magic Lantern is available for the 7D you're stuck with the camera's auto gain, right?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
But until Magic Lantern is available for the 7D you're stuck with the camera's auto gain, right?
Yes. The options are to use the Beachtek, or to record a tone to an iPod (or something) and jam it into one of the channels. Or use an external recorder. Or wait (wait!?!) for ML on the 7D.

BTW, Tramm was asked about which stores had a 7D in stock today. It's a good day for 7D owners to give him a donation. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD