DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D capturing and editing questions. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/463970-7d-capturing-editing-questions.html)

Bruce S. Yarock October 2nd, 2009 03:25 AM

7D capturing and editing questions.

I've never captured from anything but tape, and was wondering about the workflow with the 7D. We edit on Adobe CS3 and use cineform. Can anyone give me an idea of the workflow with the 7D using this nle?
thanks
Bruce yarock
yarockvideo.com

Bruce S. Yarock October 2nd, 2009 04:33 AM

I also wanted to ask how the 7d footage will cut with stuff shot on regular video. I shoot with a canon H1 and a1, and occasionally use my letus extreme when i can ( but usually not).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Bruce Foreman October 3rd, 2009 08:17 PM

You really don't "capture" from these Canon's. You either remove the media card from the camera, insert it into the reader slot where it should show up as another "drive" on the computer, and simply copy the files over to the folder your NLE expects to find them in; or using the software that came with the camera you connect to a USB port and again "copy" the files over.

From there you should be able to use whatever you are used to with your software. It should be fairly simple.

Until my 7D arrives in a couple more days all I can relate to is my Canon T1i. Most of my video has been done with Canon HF100's lately, I edit the MTS files natively, copying them first from the media card to the computer, then review and rename to a filename that means something to me in the editing process. Then drop onto the timeline in either Pinnacle Studio 12 or Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 Ultra (I don't need to do any transcoding because I edit on quad core based computers).

Files from the T1i are handled the same way and I can drop the MOV files (1280x720 30p) into a 1920x1080 30p (Canon HF100 AVCHD .MTS files) project timeline with no problems at all. I'm hoping to be able to do the same thing with files from the 7D, I'll know in a few days.

Bruce S. Yarock October 4th, 2009 01:37 AM

Thanks, Bruce. I understand that you don't really "capture" anything , as in tape, but I'm not sute what I have ro do with the files once I move them onto the drive. can the be imported directly into the CS3 time line or do they have to be transcoded or processed first. That's what I was really asking.
Good luck with your 7D. I look forward to hearing more.
Bruce Yarock

Ben Moore October 4th, 2009 08:39 AM

The .MOV files will open in Premiere Pro CS3, but will have to be rendered in order to play back full frame. Best to convert using Cineform first.

Ben

Bruce S. Yarock October 4th, 2009 10:38 AM

Ben,
Do you know which cineform product it is? We have Cineform ( I think it's Aspect HD) which we use when we're capturing hdv tape.
bruce yarock

Ben Moore October 4th, 2009 11:02 AM

I know "Neoscene" works, not sure about Aspect HD.

Ben

Bruce S. Yarock October 4th, 2009 11:05 AM

thanks, ben. I'll check on it monday.
Bruce Yarock

Alastair Brown October 4th, 2009 01:34 PM

Seeing as they are a sponsor i think I am allowed to say that i found it cheaper to buy Neoscene from Videoguys than direct. In addition if you are a new customer you get $10 off your first order! Worked out at $89

Eugenia Loli put me onto it (she knows her stuff and has a very good blog which is well worth a visit). Basically, it makes the files more easily manageable/playabale on your timeline. For me in Vegas on an i7 machine the playback was struggling (Preview Auto)with the straight files from the camera/Once processed with Neoscene they played at a steady 25fps (I'm PAL). The processed file will be double the size of the original.

Videoguys.com - CineForm Neo Scene PC

Jeff Wisener October 5th, 2009 11:11 AM

This is my first post. I am getting my 7D delivered today according to UPS. I am coming from the still photo side thus I will have a ton of questions later & look forward any helpful input anyone has to help me become better at using this device.

Matthew Roddy October 5th, 2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1427586)
Ben,
Do you know which cineform product it is? We have Cineform ( I think it's Aspect HD) which we use when we're capturing hdv tape.
bruce yarock

If I understand your question correctly, what you want to do is:
A) Move the files from your camera to your HDD.
B) Open Cineform ConnectHD (if memory serves) [CORRECTION: Open "HDLink"]
C) Load (or Open) the files you want to convert to Cineform and then hit Convert.

I'm not by my home computer where I have all that software, so this is all from memory.

The files will be converted to your flavour of Cineform and saved onto your HDD as AVI files.
At this point, they're ready to be used in Vegas or PremierPro (or After Effects, etc).

Hope I got this right...

Bruce S. Yarock October 5th, 2009 11:23 AM

Matthew,
We have Cineform Aspecr hd, and have only used it when capturing tape. As you see in this thread,Cineform Neoscene has been reccomended. If I need it, I'll get it, but if aspect hd works, all the better.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Matthew Roddy October 5th, 2009 11:34 AM

My mistake.

The product I was using from Cineform was ConnectHD.
The TOOL you want to load is HDLink. I THINK it comes with all Cineform products, so it should have come with Aspect.

I'll try to correct my previous post.