DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D remote Live View on-screen image size (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/465229-7d-remote-live-view-screen-image-size.html)

Larry H. Smith October 7th, 2009 02:03 AM

7D remote Live View on-screen image size

Hello, ...first post on this forum. Thanks to all who have previously contributed, I'm learning a lot from reading through the posts in this forum ;-).

I'm a video newbie, so please pardon any "Duh!" inquiries.

Intend 7D purchase, and have a question which I assume may be of interest to both still and video shooters using remote live view.

Hopefully someone who has received their 7D will be able to answer from experience, ...I have not been able to find any Canon info on this spec.

What is the image size on-screen (pixel dimensions) when using REMOTE live viewing?
I.e., what will the image itself measure in each dimension on the computer screen (actual pixels)?

I ask because Chris Breeze informs me that a "usual" size for "mid to high-end DSLRs" is 1024X680, with lower-end models somewhat smaller.

I am considering this monitor screen(via HDMI connection):

http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/V5600/index.html

The resolution of this screen is given as 1024X600, ...thus a bit of the vertical dimension of the Live-View image will not be shown if the 7D's image is in-fact 1024X680.

On a laptop, with higher resolution, I assume the entire image will be shown.

To look at this in yesteryear terms, I want to know what size view-camera ground-glass this remote Live View image will approximate.

It's taken awhile, but the era of right-side up / right way round, no headcloth, bright view-camera use seems to have arrived.

Any hard data re. 7D Live View pixel dimensions (or ruler measurements from the screen with laptop make/model and screen resolution) would be appreciated.

Don't know if this is a factor, but primarily interested in 1080 video and raw stills.

Thanks!

Larry H. Smith October 18th, 2009 09:33 PM

Not-so-live view(ers)

417 viewers on 2 forums and none could (or would) provide any answer ??

If the question in the OP was so non-sensical as to be unworthy of response, I'd appreciate someone telling me so. ;-)

Thanks!

Chris Barcellos October 18th, 2009 11:40 PM

Perhaps your question is not really understood. First, there may not be a large number of people hooking these cameras to the monitor. With the 5d, the monitor output by HDMI is a full view of what shows on the LCD. It is a high def image, but with approximate 4:3 dimensions. Then when the 5D starts rolling video, it changes output to SD. Its quite unsatisfactory. Magic Lantern is attempting to resolve that.

I have heard the 7D may stay HD full time, which would be an improvement, but it is unclear to me what the output looks like on an HDMI monitor.

But the real problem with your question is the presumption that your monitor has to match pixel for pixel. At least as I understand it, monitors are designed to take your output and scale it to the monitor's pixel arrangement. So that may be why people are scratching their heads at the inquirey.

Hannu Korpinen October 19th, 2009 12:27 AM

I am using Marshall hdmi screen with my 5D2 and 7D.
I can confirm that 5D2 is SD during recording. Screen size you can get little bigger if you can live without video information down on the screen.
7D is bigger. How much bigger it is I cannot say. Maybe this information is already given but I have not seen that. But during recording 7D is keeping same screen size as viewing.

Bruce S. Yarock October 19th, 2009 02:55 AM

Whether viewing or recording, the 7d is full screen and full resolution on my hdmi monitor.
Bruce yarock

Hannu Korpinen October 19th, 2009 03:14 AM

Can you get screen view even bigger if you turn off shooting information from lower part of the screen like I do with Marshall screen?